$2000 system that can handle some seriously heavy image processing

edthatalkinhorse

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next few months

Budget Range: $2000 max

System Usage: This will be my main computer I will use in my laboratory. I'll be using it for light tasks, such as word processing, internet, and some other smaller applications, but the most important thing I need out of this will be the ability to handle and process large image files. I work as a microscopist and will be working with some very large 2D and 3D images (on the order of gigs in size). I will need a higher end video card for the 3D rendering, and a *ton* of memory (at least 8gb). Also, fast ports so I can backup to external HDs quickly would be nice.

Parts Preferences: As far as CPU, I have no preference, AMD or Intel are both fine by me, though its gotta be 64-bit. I think Nvidia video cards are more supported by the software I'll be using, but ATI is also perfectly acceptable. I think I want two monitors...

Overclocking: No..

SLI or Crossfire: I don't know what this is :(

Monitor Resolution: More the bettter!

Additional Comments: It has been quite a while since I've built a PC, so go easy on me with the jargon. I basically need a solid computer that won't give me much troubles for the next ~5 years. Lots of memory, and processing power, and a good video card. Is this possible for $2K????

g-unit1111

Titan
By the way SLI and Crossfire are use for linking to Graphics card to Produce about a 70% Boost of performance to your Graphic Processing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Comb [...] mbo.791304

SLI and Crossfire aren't even remotely going to give you the rendering equivalent to what a Fire Pro or Quaddro will produce.

Or you can get a mac from this link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6883104125

I don't want to get into the whole PC v. Mac argument (although there are a lot of Apple detractors here... :lol: ), that Mac probably will not be able to handle what the OP wants. It's better to build your own using workstation hardware and you'll get the best performance for the money.

As far as CPU, I have no preference, AMD or Intel are both fine by me, though its gotta be 64-bit. I think Nvidia video cards are more supported by the software I'll be using, but ATI is also perfectly acceptable. I think I want two monitors...

Even if you have no preference the Intel i7-2600K will totally destroy anything AMD will deliver as far as handling large files will go.

Parts Preferences: As far as CPU, I have no preference, AMD or Intel are both fine by me, though its gotta be 64-bit. I think Nvidia video cards are more supported by the software I'll be using, but ATI is also perfectly acceptable. I think I want two monitors...

You'll want a professional Eyefinity card for that. Unless the software has GPU-specific drivers, most applications you'll be using really don't care which card you're using.

Try something like this:

Case: Corsair Carbide 400R - $99.99
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII 750W - $129.99
Motherboard: Asus P8B WS - $219.99
CPU: 3.30GHz Intel Core i7-2600K - $319.99
Cooler: EVGA Super Cooler M020 - $49.99
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 1600MHz 1.5V - $89.99
SSD: 64GB Crucial M4 - $100.99
HD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200 RPM - $159.99
Optical: Lite On 24X DVD Burner - $17.99
Video Card: ATI Fire Pro V7800 2GB - $629.99

Total: $1958.89

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
well what he wrote above is good. but well i want to change some stuff

Cooler: H100 or nh-d14 don't know if they fit well though.
OS: windows 7 professional or if you want you can go ultimate if budget allows,
but anyways overall what he wrote above are really good

i do suggest, 16gb memory, i currently run 16gb ram right now and im going over at 13gb usage, well doing many stuff at the same time while playing heavy games too so yeah, although by feb i'm building up a new rig should work better for me work related but same thing if i were to game

g-unit1111

Titan
Cooler: H100 or nh-d14 don't know if they fit well though.

I don't think I'd recommend either one of those - not all cases will fit a D14 and the H100 doesn't really offer anything that a good air cooler doesn't other than the fact that there's no huge heat sink present on the motherboard.

OS: windows 7 professional or if you want you can go ultimate if budget allows,

You only need Ultimate if you're using the language packs. 7 Pro does away with Home Premium's memory limitations and allows you to run XP legacy programs - and that's all you really need if you're not using Home Premium (which I wouldn't recommend on a workstation build anyways).

i do suggest, 16gb memory, i currently run 16gb ram right now and im going over at 13gb usage, well doing many stuff at the same time while playing heavy games too so yeah, although by feb i'm building up a new rig should work better for me work related but same thing if i were to game

Are you running CS5 and playing BF3 at the same time? Because that's the only way I could see 13 of 16GB being used. :lol: