2003 compared to 2004

I have UT2003 and I am running Win98SE, an ATI XP2100+,384MB ram and a
Radeon8500 128MB vid card.
Is it worthwhile to buy UT2004?
Thanks

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 15:19:13 -0700, Buffalo wrote:

> I have UT2003 and I am running Win98SE,

Sorry to hear that...

> an ATI XP2100+,384MB ram and a Radeon8500 128MB vid card.

ATI doesn't make CPU's, so I'll assume you meant "AMD". The amount of RAM
and the video card are a little weak for UT2004.

> Is it worthwhile to buy UT2004?

Well, only you can decide that, it's your money. Like I said, your
hardware is a little weak for it, but the gameplay of 04 is better than
03. Give it a try!

Linux Registered User #327951

"Dan C" <youmustbejoking@invalid.lan> wrote in message
> On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 15:19:13 -0700, Buffalo wrote:
>
> > I have UT2003 and I am running Win98SE,
>
> Sorry to hear that...
>
> > an ATI XP2100+,384MB ram and a Radeon8500 128MB vid card.
>
> ATI doesn't make CPU's, so I'll assume you meant "AMD". The amount of RAM
> and the video card are a little weak for UT2004.
>
> > Is it worthwhile to buy UT2004?
>
> Well, only you can decide that, it's your money. Like I said, your
> hardware is a little weak for it, but the gameplay of 04 is better than
> 03. Give it a try!
>
> --
> If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
> Linux Registered User #327951

Thanks for the input.
Yeah, I did mean AMD
Which one would make the most difference to get UT2004 to play adaquately;
OS,cpu speed, vid card, or more memory?
Thanks

> "Dan C" <youmustbejoking@invalid.lan> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 15:19:13 -0700, Buffalo wrote:
>>
>> > I have UT2003 and I am running Win98SE,
>>
>> Sorry to hear that...
>>
>> > an ATI XP2100+,384MB ram and a Radeon8500 128MB vid card.
>>
>> ATI doesn't make CPU's, so I'll assume you meant "AMD". The amount of
>> RAM
>> and the video card are a little weak for UT2004.
>>
>> > Is it worthwhile to buy UT2004?
>>
>> Well, only you can decide that, it's your money. Like I said, your
>> hardware is a little weak for it, but the gameplay of 04 is better than
>> 03. Give it a try!
>>
>> --
>> If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
>> Linux Registered User #327951
>
> Thanks for the input.
> Yeah, I did mean AMD
> Which one would make the most difference to get UT2004 to play adaquately;
> OS,cpu speed, vid card, or more memory?
> Thanks

Getting a faster processor will be in your best interest. There was an
absolute world of difference when I upgraded from a 1.5P4 to a 3300+ AMD64.
The unreal engine is very much tied to processor power. That's not to say a
good vid card makes the game much better, but a weak processor won't be
helped much even by the best card.
Oh, and get more RAM. It's like a garage. You can always use a bigger one.

"goPostal" <none@this.time> wrote in message

> "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
> >
> > "Dan C" <youmustbejoking@invalid.lan> wrote in message

> >> Sorry to hear that...

> >> ATI doesn't make CPU's, so I'll assume you meant "AMD". The amount of
> >> RAM
> >> and the video card are a little weak for UT2004.

> >> Well, only you can decide that, it's your money. Like I said, your
> >> hardware is a little weak for it, but the gameplay of 04 is better than
> >> 03. Give it a try!
> >>
> >> --
> >> If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
> >> Linux Registered User #327951
> >
> > Thanks for the input.
> > Yeah, I did mean AMD
> > Which one would make the most difference to get UT2004 to play adaquately;
> > OS,cpu speed, vid card, or more memory?
> > Thanks
> >

> Getting a faster processor will be in your best interest. There was an
> absolute world of difference when I upgraded from a 1.5P4 to a 3300+ AMD64.
> The unreal engine is very much tied to processor power. That's not to say a
> good vid card makes the game much better, but a weak processor won't be
> helped much even by the best card.
> Oh, and get more RAM. It's like a garage. You can always use a bigger one.

Thanks, I just bought a 512MB stick on E-bay. (SDram PC-133 that will give me a
total of 768MB)
I am also bidding on another 512 stick.
That should also help Half-Life 2 some also.

Andrew

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 15:19:13 -0700, "Buffalo"
<eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:

>I have UT2003 and I am running Win98SE, an ATI XP2100+,384MB ram and a
>Radeon8500 128MB vid card.
>Is it worthwhile to buy UT2004?

It is broadly the same engine, and has the gameplay that UT2003 should
have had, 2004 is much better IMO.

> On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 15:19:13 -0700, "Buffalo"
> <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> >I have UT2003 and I am running Win98SE, an ATI XP2100+,384MB ram and a
> >Radeon8500 128MB vid card.
> >Is it worthwhile to buy UT2004?
>
> It is broadly the same engine, and has the gameplay that UT2003 should
> have had, 2004 is much better IMO.

Thanks for your input.

Dan C wrote:

> ATI doesn't make CPU's, so I'll assume you meant "AMD". The amount of
> RAM and the video card are a little weak for UT2004.

The RAM I agree with, but I'm running a GEForce 128meg card on an ATI 2800
and I get smooth play and good FPS even on the highest display settings at
1024x768.

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 10:25:46 -0600, Bob Good wrote:

>> ATI doesn't make CPU's, so I'll assume you meant "AMD". The amount of
>> RAM and the video card are a little weak for UT2004.

> The RAM I agree with, but I'm running a GEForce 128meg card on an ATI 2800
> and I get smooth play and good FPS even on the highest display settings at
> 1024x768.

That's nice. A GeForce (you didn't mention which model) is a much more
capable video card than a Radeon 8500, which is what the original poster
said he had. What's your point?

Again, ATI does not make CPU's, either.

Linux Registered User #327951

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 20:06:44 -0700, "Buffalo"
<eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:

>"goPostal" <none@this.time> wrote in message
>>
>> "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Dan C" <youmustbejoking@invalid.lan> wrote in message

>> > Thanks for the input.
>> > Yeah, I did mean AMD
>> > Which one would make the most difference to get UT2004 to play adaquately;
>> > OS,cpu speed, vid card, or more memory?
>> > Thanks
>> >

>> Getting a faster processor will be in your best interest. There was an
>> absolute world of difference when I upgraded from a 1.5P4 to a 3300+ AMD64.
>> The unreal engine is very much tied to processor power. That's not to say a
>> good vid card makes the game much better, but a weak processor won't be
>> helped much even by the best card.
>> Oh, and get more RAM. It's like a garage. You can always use a bigger one.
>
>Thanks, I just bought a 512MB stick on E-bay. (SDram PC-133 that will give me a
>total of 768MB)
>I am also bidding on another 512 stick.
>That should also help Half-Life 2 some also.

Be careful. Windows 98 pukes somewhere around 768. Do some Googling
on the subject... there is a workaround.

And older motherboards that weren't designed for such large amounts of
memory sometimes struggle when you populate all the slots.

Putting in the fastest processor your mobo allows will give you more
bang for the buck than any other upgrade.

Buffalo wrote:
> I have UT2003 and I am running Win98SE, an ATI XP2100+,384MB ram and a
> Radeon8500 128MB vid card.
> Is it worthwhile to buy UT2004?
> Thanks

i can run the ut2004 demo at 1024x768, a little below medium quality,
and get 20-30 fps on the ONS-Torlan map, on this rig:

Athlon tbird 1.4
384MB ram
Geforce4 mx

Not sure if I remebmer the settings and resulution correctly, but I've
enjoyed probably 50 hours of play. It even starts up faster than you'd
expect. So I say you just go ahead and buy it. 20-30 FPS wouldn't be
playable in quake3, but this game is a little slower paced, so it kinda
works. At least for team-based strategic play. If I can run it, you
certainly can.

And you get to play Red Orchestra http://redorchestra.clanservers.com/
for free! And Air Buccaneers http://ludocraft.oulu.fi/airbuccaneers/
too! And many more...

"Tydr Schnubbis" <fake@address.dude> wrote in message
> Buffalo wrote:
> > I have UT2003 and I am running Win98SE, an ATI XP2100+,384MB ram and a
> > Radeon8500 128MB vid card.
> > Is it worthwhile to buy UT2004?
> > Thanks
> >

> i can run the ut2004 demo at 1024x768, a little below medium quality,
> and get 20-30 fps on the ONS-Torlan map, on this rig:
>

> Athlon tbird 1.4
> 384MB ram
> Geforce4 mx
>
> Not sure if I remebmer the settings and resulution correctly, but I've
> enjoyed probably 50 hours of play. It even starts up faster than you'd
> expect. So I say you just go ahead and buy it. 20-30 FPS wouldn't be
> playable in quake3, but this game is a little slower paced, so it kinda
> works. At least for team-based strategic play. If I can run it, you
> certainly can.
>
> And you get to play Red Orchestra http://redorchestra.clanservers.com/
> for free! And Air Buccaneers http://ludocraft.oulu.fi/airbuccaneers/
> too! And many more...

Thanks.I don't know how to get the fps info in the demo.
I tried the 2004 Demo and it ran just fine on my setup.
I noticed that when I play HL2, that my swap file is around 250-300MB. Hopefully
when I install the 512MB stick in place of the 128MB stick (768MB instead of
384MB), the play will be a little smoother. (When the action gets heavy, it
stuttered quite a bit and it also seemed to take awhile to reload after
'dying'.)

"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 20:06:44 -0700, "Buffalo"
> <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:
>

> >"goPostal" <none@this.time> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message

> >> Getting a faster processor will be in your best interest. There was an
> >> absolute world of difference when I upgraded from a 1.5P4 to a 3300+ AMD64.
> >> The unreal engine is very much tied to processor power. That's not to say a
> >> good vid card makes the game much better, but a weak processor won't be
> >> helped much even by the best card.
> >> Oh, and get more RAM. It's like a garage. You can always use a bigger one.
> >
> >Thanks, I just bought a 512MB stick on E-bay. (SDram PC-133 that will give me
> >total of 768MB)
> >I am also bidding on another 512 stick.
> >That should also help Half-Life 2 some also.
>
> Be careful. Windows 98 pukes somewhere around 768. Do some Googling
> on the subject... there is a workaround.

I'm aware of adding the MaxFileCache=512000 line under the [vcache] header in
System.ini, thanks.

> And older motherboards that weren't designed for such large amounts of
> memory sometimes struggle when you populate all the slots.

I have an ECS K7S5a ver 3.1 and it has two slots for SDram and two slots for DDR
ram.
You can use either DDR or SDRam, but not both, with a max of 512MB per slot for
a total max of 1GB.
If I use a 512MB stick, it must be a 32x8 configuration (low-density) and not a
64x4 configuration (high-density), otherwise the MB will only recognize 1/2 of
it, or 256MB, if it recognizes it at all, as I understand it.
However, I have heard that it will accept and recognize high-density sticks that
are 256MBs or less.

> Putting in the fastest processor your mobo allows will give you more
> bang for the buck than any other upgrade.

Again, thanks for your input.
Buffalo

"goPostal" <none@this.time> wrote in message

> "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
> >
> > "Dan C" <youmustbejoking@invalid.lan> wrote in message

> >> Sorry to hear that...

> >> ATI doesn't make CPU's, so I'll assume you meant "AMD". The amount of
> >> RAM
> >> and the video card are a little weak for UT2004.

> >> Well, only you can decide that, it's your money. Like I said, your
> >> hardware is a little weak for it, but the gameplay of 04 is better than
> >> 03. Give it a try!
> >>
> >> --
> >> If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
> >> Linux Registered User #327951
> >
> > Thanks for the input.
> > Yeah, I did mean AMD
> > Which one would make the most difference to get UT2004 to play adaquately;
> > OS,cpu speed, vid card, or more memory?
> > Thanks
> >

> Getting a faster processor will be in your best interest. There was an
> absolute world of difference when I upgraded from a 1.5P4 to a 3300+ AMD64.
> The unreal engine is very much tied to processor power. That's not to say a
> good vid card makes the game much better, but a weak processor won't be
> helped much even by the best card.
> Oh, and get more RAM. It's like a garage. You can always use a bigger one.

Thanks, I just purchased a 512MB stick to replace the 128MB stick so my new
total should be 768MB, a 100% increase.
Hopefully it will help a lot, since sysmon says I use between 250-300MB of swap
file while playing HL2.
Appreciate your input.

Dan C wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 10:25:46 -0600, Bob Good wrote:

> That's nice. A GeForce (you didn't mention which model) is a much
> more capable video card than a Radeon 8500, which is what the original
> poster said he had.

It's an FX5200 I got out of the bargain bin at MicroCenter for 70 bucks.

>What's your point?

My point was that I run UT2004 at full details on my 128 meg card. While
I've never run a Radeon card, I was pointing out that my system runs well
with a 128meg card, and that the original poster might get better
performance (as well as save some money)if he upped his RAM before
investing in a more powerful video card. I know my UT2004 performance
increased substantially when I doubled my RAM from 512 to 1024 megs.

> Again, ATI does not make CPU's, either.

Yeah, I read that ATI CPU thing in the original post, and then read it
again when it was corrected, so it must have stuck in my head when I
posted. Typos happen.

> "goPostal" <none@this.time> wrote in message
>>
>> "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Dan C" <youmustbejoking@invalid.lan> wrote in message

>> > Thanks for the input.
>> > Yeah, I did mean AMD
>> > Which one would make the most difference to get UT2004 to play
>> > adaquately;
>> > OS,cpu speed, vid card, or more memory?
>> > Thanks
>> >

>> Getting a faster processor will be in your best interest. There was an
>> absolute world of difference when I upgraded from a 1.5P4 to a 3300+
>> AMD64.
>> The unreal engine is very much tied to processor power. That's not to say
>> good vid card makes the game much better, but a weak processor won't be
>> helped much even by the best card.
>> Oh, and get more RAM. It's like a garage. You can always use a bigger
>> one.
>>
> Thanks, I just purchased a 512MB stick to replace the 128MB stick so my
> new
> total should be 768MB, a 100% increase.
> Hopefully it will help a lot, since sysmon says I use between 250-300MB of
> swap
> file while playing HL2.
> Appreciate your input.

Happy to help ya!

Buffalo wrote:
> Thanks.I don't know how to get the fps info in the demo.
> I tried the 2004 Demo and it ran just fine on my setup.
> I noticed that when I play HL2, that my swap file is around 250-300MB. Hopefully
> when I install the 512MB stick in place of the 128MB stick (768MB instead of
> 384MB), the play will be a little smoother. (When the action gets heavy, it
> stuttered quite a bit and it also seemed to take awhile to reload after
> 'dying'.)

if want to see the FPS in UT, type 'stat fps' in the console. Key below
ESC brings down the console, like in quake and half-life. Other
commands are 'suicide' to start over, and 'quit'.

> "> Thanks.I don't know how to get the fps info in the demo.
> I tried the 2004 Demo and it ran just fine on my setup.
> I noticed that when I play HL2, that my swap file is around 250-300MB.
Hopefully
> when I install the 512MB stick in place of the 128MB stick (768MB instead of
> 384MB), the play will be a little smoother. (When the action gets heavy, it
> stuttered quite a bit and it also seemed to take awhile to reload after
> 'dying'.)

Just installed the 512 stick and UT2003 plays 'much' smoother.
HL2, the difference is amazing.
So going from 384MB of ram to 768MB of ram makes the games 'great'.
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
PS: Will be gone for about a week, but then hope to post some FPS.
Thanks again,
Buffalo