2003 Server folder rights newbie question

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,;,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

Hi

We're setting up a simple Win2003 fileserver (no AD) but having
problems setting up directory access rights/permissions.

We have one shared folder called APPS, with lots of subfolders -
SALES, TECHNICAL, etc. All users will have a drive mapped to the APPS
share, and we want to give specific users and groups access to the
subfolders.

The only way to do this seems to be give everyone full access to the
APPS share (so they can map a drive to it) and then manually removing
this permission from all the subfolders. This way they can still see
all the subfolders, but can only access the ones that they have
permissions for.

With so many folders... is there a better way to do this?

Any help appreciated!

Jason

"Jason" <jasond@NOearlexSPAMPLS.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> We're setting up a simple Win2003 fileserver (no AD) but having
> problems setting up directory access rights/permissions.
>
> We have one shared folder called APPS, with lots of subfolders -
> SALES, TECHNICAL, etc. All users will have a drive mapped to the APPS
> share, and we want to give specific users and groups access to the
> subfolders.
>
> The only way to do this seems to be give everyone full access to the
> APPS share (so they can map a drive to it) and then manually removing
> this permission from all the subfolders. This way they can still see
> all the subfolders, but can only access the ones that they have
> permissions for.
>
> With so many folders... is there a better way to do this?
>
> Any help appreciated!
>
> Jason

You can remove permissions in bulk like so:
1. Start a Command Prompt.
2. Navigate inside the APPS folder.
3. Issue this command:
for /d %a in (*.*) do cacls "%a" /e /t /r everyone
This will leave you with the specific permissions for each folder.