2007 Toyota Prius with Broken Catalytic Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
So I have a 2007 Toyota Prius with 285 thousand miles on it. The catalytic converter broke a few days ago and the Prius shop wanted 2500 to fix it. I did some googling and found some new catalytic converters for 150 or so. I asked Toyota about it and they said that they could put the part in and I'd just have to pay for labor, coming out (including the part) to around 500. The mechanic there said that most of these aftermarket parts only last for about 4 months or so, and even then only do the bare minimum. Is this true? And considering the fact that the car has 285,000 miles+ on it would it be worth it to fix it or would something else probably break pretty soon?

Edit: Oh and also would it be possible for me to fix it myself? I don't really have any experience with working on cars, and I don't own any car-specific tools (although I may be able to borrow some). I have built a computer if that means anything in the world of cars (I assume they're both vaguely like a thousand dollar plus dangerous lego set) but yeah. (Although I guess one involves power tools)

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It doesn't seem like it would be incredibly difficult to do. That said, I am not sure if there is something unique about the Prius catalytic converter that would make the universal ones a bad idea.

Direct fit replacement converters (checking very hastily on Autozone) seem to run in the $450-$700 range. They all say "federal" on them.

It might be worth doing some digging to see if there's something particularly unique about the Prius catalytic converters that makes using a "federal" (direct fit or otherwise) not work correctly for emissions control. I'm just speculating on that point (at work now, so I can't do much research at the moment)

EDIT: just found this, but I have to do more digging:
https://www.torquenews.com/8113/sho...s-catalytic-converter-original-or-aftermarket

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Thanks! According to that I think it would be best for me to get an aftermarket one, simply because I doubt a 2007 Prius with 285 thousand miles will last any more than 2-5 years. Whether I can replace it on my own, I don't know.

A 2007 Prius with that many miles on it will EASILY last another 10+ years with care. The only major expense will be replacing the main traction battery, unless that's already happened. About $2500 for a dealer to do it using new parts all around.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
"New" catalytic for $150 seems like obtained from another Prius, using circular saw, at night...
Nah, that's about the price of whats called a "universal Federal" catalytic converter. But that's just the single converter only, so you have to get adapters, clamps, etc.

So, at AutoZone, listed for the 2007 Prius (and likely usable for multiple cars), at $176.99:
Universal Federal Catalytic Converter 99205HM

Just that one piece, if you wanted to replace merely one part of the whole thing.

Whereas this is the one listed from a Toyota dealership. Naturally, being from the dealership, it's almost $1,700:
th

Then there's an aftermarket direct-fit one from Autozone, for $513.99:
Bosal Direct Fit Federal Catalytic Converter 096-1692

Now, I'm not clear on whether the full-length direct-fit one is EXACTLY the same, internally, with the same elements used, etc., as the Toyota original. I would assume it has to be, but I don't know.

Honestly, I don't know if that's really 3 separate catalysts, or maybe one or two catalysts, plus a resonator/muffler, or what.

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
The main battery has already been replaced. Sounds like my fixing it would not be a good idea but having someone else repair it would probably be worthwhile as it will still last a good bit longer. Does everyone agree with that assessment of the situation?

Reactions: straightawaykid
Status
Not open for further replies.