Question 2008 MacBook Pro Keyboard / Key Replacement

Jan 5, 2021
Hey, guys,

So I recently picked up a Late 2008 A1281 MBP in rough shape. Took a gamble on it for funsies to see if I can get it back up and running and maybe even flip it after fixing it up.

It needs:
Keyboard keys 'G' and 'H',
Charger,
Possibly a new battery,
Possibly a hard drive / new HDD or SSD.

I have a spare HDD and SSD, I'll figure out the wattage for my model and get the appropriate charger (85w I believe for this model?), however idk about the keyboard. Looking on Amazon it looks like you can just buy a whole new keyboard for about ~$20. Just have to watch some tutorials on YT to take one apart and add the new one.

I guess what I'm asking is: can I just order the new board and take the keys off those and replace them on my existing machine? Assuming I can take them off the replacement board (should be able to as it's a 1:1 keyboard model). The board is fairly in good shape; no worn out keys or sticky keys. If anyone knows if I can just buy single replacement keys that'd be helpful rather than buying a whole new board.

Any info is appreciated! Thanks!

hang-the-9

Titan
Laptop keyboard keys are not often easy to replace, first did you check if any of the clips and other things the keys need are intact? If you can buy single keys, check eBay, etc... I have worked on laptops for a while, and changing broken or missing keys is one of my least favorite things, the parts are small, easy to snap and often hard to maneuver into the right position.

Jan 5, 2021
Laptop keyboard keys are not often easy to replace, first did you check if any of the clips and other things the keys need are intact? If you can buy single keys, check eBay, etc... I have worked on laptops for a while, and changing broken or missing keys is one of my least favorite things, the parts are small, easy to snap and often hard to maneuver into the right position.
Not to bring up an old post but I was able to finally get this guy restored and mods can lock this post as solved.

I was able to buy replacement keys from replacementlaptopkeys.com (as jokey as that sounds but great site). I also fixed the charger port by replacing the screw when I opened it up.

Upgraded to 8GB of RAM, got El Capitan on here and it's a cool little machine now.

Thanks all!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS