[SOLVED] 2008 Q6700 - MB/CPU/RAM Upgrade for Windows 10

alexondrums

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
Approximate Purchase Date: In the next few months

Budget Range: Up to £200, the less the better (£100-£150 better)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Internet surfing, Media / Photoshop / Occasional Music production, Web Development, Older gaming (DOS - ~2012 Windows gaming, primarily late 90’s- mid 2000s)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Motherboard, CPU, RAM

Using existing parts:
Case : Coolermaster Centurion 5 Case
PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX 80+ Bronze 600W
GPU: AMD Radeon R7 240 1GB GDDR5
HDD: 4x Various SSD / HDDs (SATA)

Current parts to be replaced
Mobo: Asus P5K Premium Black Pearl Edition
CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz
RAM: Corsair DDR2 800MHz 2GB x2

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Dabs (BT), Ebuyer, Overclockers, Aria, Scan, CCL – or any you recommend (UK)

Parts Preferences: Preferably Intel CPU, but not familiar with the AMD vs Intel market these days, so if AMD is a good alternative I’ll go with it

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Game examples, Half-Life 1-2, Portal 1-2, RCT3, RTCW, The Sims, Quake 3

Why Are You Upgrading: The main reason is because i’d like to run Windows 10 (along side Windows 7), but having previously tried an upgrade, it seems my MB Chipset isn’t supported and there are no drivers for the USB ports, so mouse and keyboard doesn’t work. Other than that, I don’t need it to be any more powerful than current, but naturally with newer parts I expect it will be anyway. I’d like to retain some of the quality that I have currently if possible, but understand my budget it limited.

Solution
Ryzen 2400G, B450 motherboard and 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4. That will provide a current generation motherboard with upgrade possibilities for the future.