[SOLVED] 2009 computer up to running new games?

jimxsullivan

Reputable
Dec 14, 2019
I have build from 2009 or so that I'd like to hand-down to my daughter who has started to get into gaming. I'm not sure what games she will play but it most likely will be through STEAM. I'm wondering if anyone could chime in to let me know if the main components are up to the task of running new games.

Intel i7 920 2.67ghz (4 core)
EVGA SLI Motherboard 132-BL-E758
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Samsung SSD 840
6BG RAM

Solution
I have build from 2009 or so that I'd like to hand-down to my daughter who has started to get into gaming. I'm not sure what games she will play but it most likely will be through STEAM. I'm wondering if anyone could chime in to let me know if the main components are up to the task of running new games.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Samsung SSD 840
6BG RAM

Hi @jimxsullivan

Short answer: Yes, it'll play games and a great many.

Long answer: Depends on which games and how well you/her wants them to run. I handed down my 2008 era Secondary PC (See my Sig Below) to my daughter about a year ago to use as her & I game together almost every day (So Kudos to you as a dad...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Samsung SSD 840
6BG RAM

Hi @jimxsullivan

Short answer: Yes, it'll play games and a great many.

Long answer: Depends on which games and how well you/her wants them to run. I handed down my 2008 era Secondary PC (See my Sig Below) to my daughter about a year ago to use as her & I game together almost every day (So Kudos to you as a dad for supporting her!)

I would highly advise that you upgrade her RAM to 12GB. Her system supports 12GB of Tripple channel DDR3-1333. Granted that all hardware is different, but as a rough idea of the performance she can expect, my daughter & I play Borderlands & Battlefield 1 & V heavily and once your daughters RAM is upgraded, she should have better performance than the system my daughters using. Depending on your daughters age, is she's young, then games for her age will be even less taxing on your older system.

Of course it goes without saying and I'm sure you already know, but make sure all drivers are up to date, Mobo/CPU/GPU/Audio etc. what type of PSU does it have in it? Make sure it's a decent until if you decide to upgrade her GTX 660.

Let us know which games she's planning to play and how the system runs. :)

Solution

lynx1021

Distinguished
You could help it by upping the memory,most game memory is 8GB min, they like 16GB. The Manual said 12Gb max but this forum says 24GB. https://forums.evga.com/X58-SLI-What-is-the-maximum-memory-this-board-will-hold-m1826853.aspx
The only thing is a lot of the older DDR3 boards require "low density memory" Like mine in my signature.
I picked up 2-2X4GB kits for $30 each on Ebay. Here is the manual in case you don't have it. https://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/132-BL-E758.pdf
Look here for your CPU compatibility for your X58 board, https://www.evga.com/support/motherboard/legacy/
You can find good refurbished CPU's on EBay or AliExpress (china)

Reactions: Mrgr74