[SOLVED] 200mm fans vs 120mm fans

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
Hi,
I was searching for a small case while I ve starting seen a lot of case with 200mm fans, and here my question.
Is actually better 3x120 or 2x200 fans?
For make the thing faster we will take for the 120 fans the avg of all the fans usually bought on the market and the same for the 200 because I obviusly know that a lot depend on the fan you actually take, but I just wanna know in general how it is.
All I know is that 200mm should be better cause they will go slower and make less noise, but actually how many truth there is in this stereotype?
Thanks for any reply anyway
P.S.
It would be cool also if anyone can integrate the 140mm in the discussion

Solution
If you're looking at the size of a fan, the larger fan will push more air at the same RPM and do so at a quieter mode. This is assuming the fan's motor, the pitch of the fan blade, the brand of the fan and the material used on the fans are the same.

So, if you will, specs to the fans in question will help us get to the bottom of it. If it's all hypothetical, then the larger fan will come out on top. If you decide to buy bad quality fans with this generalized answer, then you'll come to find that the fans sound horrible and the temps inside your case is bad. Money was spent but not much was gained from it.

Lutfij

Titan
Do you have links to the fans you're looking at? If you plan to add the larger fans to a smaller device/aperture like an AIO or a CPU cooler, your results might be skewed. If you're looking at mere fans for airflow, that will depend on the make and model of your case. Thermaltake and very old Coolermaster cases had mounting locations for larger fans but the fans that were used were of bad quality or that they didn't factor in the airflow of the case.

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
Do you have links to the fans you're looking at? If you plan to add the larger fans to a smaller device/aperture like an AIO or a CPU cooler, your results might be skewed. If you're looking at mere fans for airflow, that will depend on the make and model of your case. Thermaltake and very old Coolermaster cases had mounting locations for larger fans but the fans that were used were of bad quality or that they didn't factor in the airflow of the case.
No, I was randomly searching for a small case(but also atx compatible) and almost all this small case have 200mm fans and I was wondering if in general for case airflow is better 2x200mm or 3x120, just with generals specs, nothing of specific.
As said, I know that a lot depend on the fan producer(like a noctua fan usually is better then a general chinese one), but I just want to know generally which is better as airflow and noise

Lutfij

Titan
If you're looking at the size of a fan, the larger fan will push more air at the same RPM and do so at a quieter mode. This is assuming the fan's motor, the pitch of the fan blade, the brand of the fan and the material used on the fans are the same.

So, if you will, specs to the fans in question will help us get to the bottom of it. If it's all hypothetical, then the larger fan will come out on top. If you decide to buy bad quality fans with this generalized answer, then you'll come to find that the fans sound horrible and the temps inside your case is bad. Money was spent but not much was gained from it.

Solution
If you do a calculation, the cooling area of a 200mm fan is approximately the same as 3 120mm fans or two 140mm fans.

On a previous case, (the silverstone TJ-08E) with a 180mm fan the cooling and quiet was impressive. I kept the fan on a lower speed setting.

Given a choice, all things equal, I would pick the larger fan setup.

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022

exactlly what I wanted to undertend, so usually biggers fans can be quiter.
Actually if I have specs I can almost make the sum of the 2 200mm CFM vs the sum of 2 120+half of the central one, this is cause turbolence between 2 close fans, the central 120 will not take the actual cfm.
Btw thanks, now I have all more clear

TRENDING THREADS