2010 iMac smart errors

Mar 20, 2018
I recently erased my internal hard drive as a solution to a problem. When I attempted to reinstall OS, that's when it told me that it had SMART errors. I was, somehow, able to install Snow Leopard from the install CD. So I have a working, though outdated, desktop.

The original problem of excessive lagging at the simplest gestures is gone. Trying to update OS to El Capitan (to get to High Sierra) brings about the SMART error warning that halts further progress.

I ran Disk Utility. The header (SAMSUNG HD...) is red and says there are errors. When I verify the drive below that, my "MACINTOSH HD", it says it is fine. I read that these errors sometimes are false alarms. How do I determine this? Is there a reset?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I know that replacing the HD is the recommended solution but would do that only if necessary.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Those errors are an indication that the HDD is going to fail and that can happen while I'm typing this or 2 years from now. With the cost of a new drives being so low nowadays, I would not take any chances. In my opinion, replacement is necessary.