[SOLVED] 2011 iMac is absurdly slow and wildly unreliable

baribari

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2014
I have an old 2011 iMac that I only use for running TrainerRoad (an indoor cycling training program) and Netflix via Chrome (the version of Safari on the computer is too old).

Once the programs finally open they work fine, but they open absurdly slow. It also sometimes has weird visual glitches, gets stuck at 99% when booting, and sometimes programs won't recognize USB dongles.

I am running the latest version of macOS that it will run, but the last time I did all the updates it crashed and I had to do a clean install.

Is there anything I can do to get some more life out of this computer?

I would also like to note that the computer is rather hot the touch even while idling.

Solution
The cooler might be stuffed with dust and the cpu is throttling.
Try downloading Intel power gadget to monitor that.

If it is that, your chances are quite bad to fix it, since its not an easy task to clean the cooling system, and is also not something i would recommend.

If it is that, your chances are quite bad to fix it, since its not an easy task to clean the cooling system, and is also not something i would recommend.

Solution

baribari

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2014

I actually realized yesterday that the computer was likely stuffed full of dust, since I knew the previous owner had never cleaned it. It was indeed. I cleaned out the intake port to the extent I could. It may have made a slight improvement.

TRENDING THREADS