2012 Imac 21.5 hdd failure trouble getting ubuntu to boot on ssd

Emulatorman

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016
I have and currently am using a 2012 Imac slim that had Yosemite OS. The drive died probably due to moisture in this house. it would boot sometimes then die out. Now I cant get it past the log in screen. i wouldnt care because I want to run ubuntu LTS. The problem is as follows;
I tested the case with a junk windows drive that also thinks its not activated.. It came out of my asus laptop. That works and I am on that now. drivers in and all.
My SSD I am pretty sure is undetected. its PNY's version of the 850 evo which I just ordered thinking ubuntu install would be like cake... No.. It wont boot to flash drive or disc.... I read a guide on ubuntu and one on apple but no go. I am hoping that i can install ubuntu onto the new ssd and flash this firmware but I am clueless...
Last note My wife may have a time machine backup on one of her drives.

Solution
So this solution might be as clear as mud bu let me know fi helped anyone with a dead Imac:
As stated above I had an old laptop drive with windows seven on it. I split the monitor off from the case and plugged it in. surprisingly it boots up after several seconds. To get everything working for windows I downloaded and installed bootcamp from apple. It all worked then my 850 EVO came and I did the following.

Burned my Iso of ubunto to disc using windows 7 for some reason windows 10 does not have the iso software....
2.Tore off the glass from the IMAC again and put the bare drive in.
3. powered on and put the ubuntu disc in.
4. quickly held the c key for cd booting.
5. installed ubuntu regularly with usb keyboard and mouse! Bluetooth and...

Emulatorman

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016
So this solution might be as clear as mud bu let me know fi helped anyone with a dead Imac:
As stated above I had an old laptop drive with windows seven on it. I split the monitor off from the case and plugged it in. surprisingly it boots up after several seconds. To get everything working for windows I downloaded and installed bootcamp from apple. It all worked then my 850 EVO came and I did the following.

Burned my Iso of ubunto to disc using windows 7 for some reason windows 10 does not have the iso software....
2.Tore off the glass from the IMAC again and put the bare drive in.
3. powered on and put the ubuntu disc in.
4. quickly held the c key for cd booting.
5. installed ubuntu regularly with usb keyboard and mouse! Bluetooth and wifi will not work yet!
6. connected to Ethernet and went to additional drivers tab and waited then I installed the broadcom and nvdia drivers.
thats it your ready to go except your magic mouse and keyboard. I will add on this asap!

Note: I honestly think windows belongs on mac and lunix should be on pc ive had a mix of all flavors and windows on mac worked really well..

Solution

TRENDING THREADS