2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE: Technology In A Mid-Size Sedan

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

Updated. Thanks. The Miller Cycle is really cool, but seems overly complicated. I still love the Mazda Millennia though.

HCCI - wouldn't that be kind of like direct combustion then?

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
@Tuanies,
I don't know that much about HCCI. But I do know a bit about it.
Somehow efficiency is increased. The compression ratio hast to be around 14:1 or so in order to burn gas without a spark, I think. The engine would operate part time as an HCCI engine, like when engine load is low. At certain RPMs and engine loads it'll switch back to regular OTTO or Atkinson cycle. I've heard on the Internet that maybe an improvement of 15% in efficiency might be possible. It's clear to me that the piston engine is getting to be about as good as it's going to get.

Also I think all HCCI engines will control the amount of air that gets into the cylinders by continuously variable valve lift, rather than using a butterfly valve (throttle plate) to control the amount of air getting into the intake manifold. This is needed (I think) so that each individual cylinder can get a different amount of air via independant valve lift so the gas will ignite at the right time. This should also aid in efficiency a bit as the throttle plate won't be creating pumping losses. I think regular gas cars will get this valve lift technology soon too for a bit more MPG.

You wrote the article? I think you might have made a typo in the regenerative braking section of the hybrid synergy drive page when you mentioned heat from the brakes being used to charge the battery. The heat from physical braking isn't captured.

G

Just cheap Japanese cars. Get a proper well-engineered German car, not these car-wannabes.

Status
Not open for further replies.