[SOLVED] 2013 Gateway -- GPU upgrade for gaming (with likely PSU required) $150 budget (Did my best)

MarkAm_i

Honorable
Aug 29, 2014
Hi, I have an old PC and want to get a GPU for gaming.
My PC is: https://www.cnet.com/products/gateway-dx4870-ub318-tower-core-i5-3330-3-ghz-8-gb-1-tb/

The original PSU on it died and I replaced it with an even older 300W PSU from the Dell PC I had before I inherited this one. https://www.cpumedics.com/dell-h300nm-00-300w-power-supply-for-dell-inspiron-620-660-vostro-260-270/

I went to Best Buy and bought a card and PSU, but they couldn't connect to my MOBO.
So, I learned I need to focus on older cards, new or used. I hope to find a good fit and a decent deal from potential overstock.

I am looking for a card & GPU combo for under $150. I'm not sure how to shop for them.
I hear TigerDirect.com is good, so I find this 430W w/24 Pin connector like my MOBO: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6855312&CatId=11642

Both my old PSU and that model linked above say 24 pin connector, but the 4 SATA don't read exactly the same. The Dell page saying "(4) SATA Connectors (6" & 9" on the same cable) (18" & 19.5" on the same cable)" and the other: "4 x 15 pin Serial ATA power".
I'm not familiar with parts or descriptions used. Are these compatible?

As for the card, I was able to fit the PCI-E from Best Buy (that I returned) onto the motherboard. I've read that the version type doesn't matter, that they are backward compatible.
So, back to TigerDirect and I found two on the low end:
$91
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5616354&CatId=28
$70
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5703127&CatId=28

The more expensive one is PCIe 3.0 while the other is 2.0...
I love the idea of silent cooling. But I only got a fan on my Motherboard working. The rear fan has been unplugged since I received the PC. I'm not sure if I can plug that in somewhere and call it good. (If these will fit.)
One last thing is that my TV I use is an old flat screen that maxes out at about 1360x768. I won't be upgrading it anytime soon. I don't know if that should effect my shopping or not....?

I've researched as best I could, to find what I think might work for my PC. I would really appreciate someone's advice though, I am a bit daunted by the options and information.
Thanks!

Solution
Here is the problem. Your budget is VERY low. All of the GPUs that you have listed perform very poorly, better than what you have now, but still very poorly. If you have any hope of getting a good GPU upgrade for $100, you will need to get only a GPU. Any PSU that is worth buying, for the wattage upgrade and/or better reliability will be $50 or more. This would leave almost nothing for your GPU.

Your best bet is to get only a GPU, one that can run on your current power supply, which has no GPU power plugs. The best GPU that you can power reasonably would be the GTX 1050, but those are low on availability at your cost range. The best I could find was this, which will perform way better than the GPUs you have found so far...
You should have no compatibility issues in this system. Any modern GPU can be used in the motherboard socket, as that standard has not been truly updated in a LONG time. Your motherboard uses the current standard. Your PSU uses standard plugs as well. Any PSU will work in that system, as well as any GPU.

What did you buy from Best Buy, and why did you think it wasn't working?

Also, where are you located? I have never seen this website before, but if you live outside the US, this could be why.

Both the GPUs you have listed are very weak. You can get better for your money, at least where I am.

MarkAm_i

Honorable
Aug 29, 2014
Hi, thanks for the reply. The reason I returned the PSU was because it had a 20 Pin connector and I thought it wouldn't work for my 24 pin motherboard. Also, the GPU needed a PSU connector with 8 pins and my old PSU has one with 4.
I live in Montana, US. I thought TigerDirect.com was one of the best after searching online as to where to buy parts.

I am unfamiliar with GPU spec/price ranges. Can you suggest a better website, or good options within the $150 price range for the pair? Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post, I really appreciate it.

A modern PSU will often use a 20+4 Pin Motherboard cable. The 4 pin can be seperated for people who need a 20 pin, while anyone else who uses a modern system, that uses a 24 pin can plug both sections in at the same time, making a 24 pin. A newer PSU will also have enough plugs for the GPU as well.

I am going to recommend you look at used hardware for the GPU, since that will be a much better value, and easier to get better performance with a low budget.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Warrant...ild=1&keywords=550W+PSU&qid=1592579211&sr=8-2
This is a PSU that will work well for you. You do not need to get this one specifically, any modern PSU will work in your system. If you look at the third picture of the item, you can see the cable ends. On the right, second from the top, you see the Motherboard power. Here you can see the 20+4 Pin that I was talking about. That seperate 4 pin fits in right next to the 20 pin, making it either 20 or 24 total. You can shop around for a cheaper PSU, but I would stick with a 450 W or higher, so you are able to use a decent GPU.

Another thing that you can do, is find a GPU first, then get a PSU that is capable of powering it. Look aorund, on sites the craigslist and others for GPUs for sale. Look for GTX or RX series. Post here if you find something, and I will help you decide.

MarkAm_i

Honorable
Aug 29, 2014
Hi, thanks again! I tried Amazon, and I don't know what it's worth but, this was one of their 'featured' cards: https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GT-710-2...eo+card+pci+express+GTX&qid=1592616034&sr=8-1

The last time I had a card was many years ago and I believe it was a 512mb. So, when I read 2 GB it sounds good. If I could get closer to $100 for a GPU & PSU combo, I would be happy, because I am unsure about my budget.

If you can identify a best bang for your buck combination easily, I would be grateful for your suggestions. Thanks so much.

Here is the problem. Your budget is VERY low. All of the GPUs that you have listed perform very poorly, better than what you have now, but still very poorly. If you have any hope of getting a good GPU upgrade for $100, you will need to get only a GPU. Any PSU that is worth buying, for the wattage upgrade and/or better reliability will be $50 or more. This would leave almost nothing for your GPU.

Your best bet is to get only a GPU, one that can run on your current power supply, which has no GPU power plugs. The best GPU that you can power reasonably would be the GTX 1050, but those are low on availability at your cost range. The best I could find was this, which will perform way better than the GPUs you have found so far.
https://www.newegg.com/asus-radeon-...rds - amd/ati-_-asus-_-14126258&source=region
This GPU will work in your current system, but I would upgrade the PSU when you can afford it, to something like this
https://www.newegg.com/evga-550-n1-...50W_PSU-_-17-438-105-_-Product&quicklink=true
This is not a particularly great PSU, but will be sufficient in wattage, and is better quality than what you are using now.

Solution
What GPU did you initially get that didn't work.

A GTX1050Ti or a GTX1060 3GBwould be ideal. What's your thoughts on used hardware (Ebay or Craigslist). Anything below that just isn't going to perform well.

Check on newegg.com

PSUs are HORRIBLY expensive right now. I don't think it's exaggeration to say it's the worst time in the past 2 decades to buy a PSU.

Last edited:
@tennis2 Keep in mind that with his budget, he cannot afford a good GPU like you mentioned, since that would require a PSU upgrade as well. He could get lucky on the used market, which I believe I suggested already, but that could prove fruitless. The 1050ti can be bought with no external power connections, but has a higher power draw than the 1050, and I do not know if his 300W PSU would be capable of running it stable. The GTX 1060 has an external power plug, so if he were to get one of those, then he would have to upgrade his PSU, which I recommend anyways, but he probably cannot afford to. This is the dilemma right now. And while the 1060 would perform much better than a 1050, consider what he is using now. His processer uses HD 2500 Integrated Graphics, which is very bad. with a GTX 1050 or even RX 560, he could see performance over 10 times better.

I also agree, just that is might be risky with the PSU wattage being only 300W. But I think if they can find a a GTX 1050ti for cheap enough it is worth a shot. Personally I would only go that route if they would also be able to upgrade the PSU within a decently short timeframe.

I am erring on the side of caution here regards to the PSU, since I have had experience with a similar situation. A friend of mine has an old Dell system they wanted to put a GPU into. I had a GTX 1050 that I just upgraded from, and sold it to him. He ran it in his system for a 2-3 months, before it died, from what I can only assume was a PSU issue. One of the micro controllers on the back of the card blew up, you could see where the chip was broken off. No it was not damaged by a physical impact, he cared for it, and it had been up and running for a few hours before it died that day. His Dell has a similar older i5, and a 250 or so watt, might be 265? For all I know, the 300W PSU would not cause an issue, but it is a slight risk in my opinion, and it will be up to the OP if that is a risk they want to take.

That being said, the GTX 1050ti is a decent budget option if you can find one for a good price.

EDIT- Nevermind, my friend just got back to me, and said his PSU is actually a 240W. The 300W PSU should be enough to power a GTX 1050ti, or any GPU that is powered by the slot only. The slot provides 75W at Max, and he was able to run the 1050, and the OP has a 60W stronger PSU. It might still be a risk, but a much lower risk than I thought originally.

For the OP, I recommend looking for, in this order, GTX 1050ti, GTX 1050, GTX 950, RX 560, RX 460, GTX 750ti. There are more, but these are some of the better options. Just make SURE that the one you buy has no External 6-pin power plugs. Some of these GPUs, the GTX 950 being the worst, do have variants that need external power, and some that can be powered from the motherboard only. If you want to double check, post here the exact model before purchasing.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS