2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track: Telematics And Infotainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
I thought at first the car in the thumbnail was a Tesla Model S... I mean, it IS essentially a computer (runs Linux on dual Tegra 3s and all).

Now THAT'S something Tom's should review. :p

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
My stereo which is primitive by comparison has a far faster "boot up" time than any of these "infotainment" systems these cars have. It starts when I turn on the car there is mabey a 1sec delay and another 1sec if I decide to put in a cd as it has to start spinning it.

And if you want the fancy features I still think an AUX connection from the stereo to the phone is the best bet. If its a smartphone you have the internet/mp3/pandora/gps and if you want an OBD2 scanner like Torque in case your car breaks down. And people usually upgrade these things once every few years and there will be no compatability issues using an AUX connection.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Waiting for an STI version of the Subaru BRX or TRD version of the Scion FR-S. From most reviews I have read the Hyundai handles like a pig on the track and those Brembo brakes have issues after a few laps.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

We're trying to get one in for a week but considering how well they're selling it'll be a while.

They still have aux inputs. However, I have an article idea that'll appeal to smartphone users such as yourself - just waiting for the Windows Phone 8 launch to commence ;) I'm open to any ideas you want to see covered though.

No but if you want to port Angry Birds or Duke Nukem 3D to QNX and find a way to get them loaded onto the infotainment system, go for it :p

You and i both. The Hyundai is a fun daily, but that extra weight doesn't help it around a track.

travish82

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
348 horsepower and 295 foot-pounds of torque... WTF? I feel like I've been living under a rock. I guess this is what happens when you only buy used cars with cash. Suddenly Hyundias are freaking fast.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

We still have the same computer / tech coverage as before, but with cars becoming so technologically advanced with the equivalent of a smartphone built in, the two paths are crossing.

xsamitt

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
I get that I do but i am just about done with coming here...No offense intended.
It's like Elvis leaving the building and thinking he's still here kinda deal.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Nintendo Maniac 64[/nom]I thought at first the car in the thumbnail was a Tesla Model S... I mean, it IS essentially a computer (runs Linux on dual Tegra 3s and all).Now THAT'S something Tom's should review.[/citation]
Tegra 3s, is that for infotainment or does it run the drivetrain and safety systems too? I guess I'll do some Googling

EDIT: Looks like it is just the infotainment and instrument cluster (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-57458212-48/nvidia-touts-its-place-in-the-tesla-model-s/). Curious what computers control the rest of the car.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

I believe the entire system is based on Tegra 3, or at least T3 powers the gauges as well. Interesting tidbit I learned from NVIDIA - the Tesla Model S was designed with Tegra 2, but thanks to NVIDIA's VCM module, they just swapped it for T3 when it launched without having to make too many changes.

billyboy999

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]Waiting for an STI version of the Subaru BRX or TRD version of the Scion FR-S. From most reviews I have read the Hyundai handles like a pig on the track and those Brembo brakes have issues after a few laps.[/citation]
It's not as bad as they say. A dude in a Genesis kept up with my STi and my friends' M3 and Evo X on the track. Then again he could have been a better driver and made up the difference in performance.

G

Hmm, Tom's Hardware doing a review on automobile technology...interesting

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
[citation][nom]assasin32[/nom]My stereo which is primitive by comparison has a far faster "boot up" time than any of these "infotainment" systems these cars have. It starts when I turn on the car there is mabey a 1sec delay and another 1sec if I decide to put in a cd as it has to start spinning it.And if you want the fancy features I still think an AUX connection from the stereo to the phone is the best bet. If its a smartphone you have the internet/mp3/pandora/gps and if you want an OBD2 scanner like Torque in case your car breaks down. And people usually upgrade these things once every few years and there will be no compatability issues using an AUX connection.[/citation]Makes it hard to use steering wheel controls. Fiddling with your phone while driving is pretty bad. I know a guy who thinks he good at it. He's not.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
It's kind of funny how it takes a while to boot up the infotainment system. Looking at the benchmarks it seems slow and I can't help but point out that the processors used are probably $30 or less in cost (Smart phone/Tablet ARM chips) and so they could jump to a better processor for more performance without too much of a price hike. That or make the software better take advantage of all cores while booting up and ensure that the onboard SSD isn't a big bottleneck.

OR, I don't know, suspend to flash or sleep (keep LPDDR active)? Why does the infotainment system have to boot up every time the car is on?

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

Most of the cars have a preboot procedure they go through when the proximity key is detection / the driver opens the door, which doesn't make the boot-up time too noticeable. They can't go to sleep due to battery life concerns. Even at the minimal amounts of power, the system would still drain power from the battery and the car companies have to think about long-time parking.

As for the hardware equation, automotive technology is about 5-years behind. The companies have to plan and source all the components during the development cycle, which is typically 5 years prior to the vehicle release, hence why it can't always have the latest and greatest.

G

Jeez, yet another "differentiating" infotainment system.
Come on, car companies, just use the GENIVI system!
Stop developing these pieces of crap that don't easily support most any mobile device, and have terrible UI.

G

They should put the computer to sleep for 36-48 hours after the car was switched off and if it hasn't been reactivated after that timeframe, shut down for long term parking.
I mean with all the suspend/hibernate modes of modern CPUs there should be plenty options to scale this for both short term comfort/ long term efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.