2013 Lexus LS600h L: Plenty of Tech, but Short on Value

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyb34

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
This car, on the outside, looks like your average Mazda or Honda. So -1 there.
I'm sorry for Lexus for Mercedes is years ahead with its new S class.

This LS600 does not look premium enough and the inside is closer to an Audi A6.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

I'd assume so since the LS400 was a Toyota Celsior and badge engineered with premium only content for the US whereas the LS600h L and LS460 was designed solely to be a Lexus from the get go with its own styling.

Yea, the Mercedes S class is stunning inside and out. The Lexus looks bland and when you step inside, it doesn't give the same wow factor. Sure its functional, but its not what I'd expect from a luxury vehicle.

edlivian

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
if I had 100+k to spend on a luxury sedan car, i would never get this car, it would either be a A8/A7, S550 or 760i.

And its not because I dont like Japanese cars, I used to have an Acura RL, but they too have dropped the ball. Their design looks bland, they drive is similar to mid class series high end cars, if you want high end you do not think Lexus anymore.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think 1 of the main reasons why this Lexus doesn't get much better fuel economy, and no better fuel economy than a regular Lexus is because the engine is not Atkinson cycle, but rather regular OTTO cycle.
In most hybrid cars, the engine is Atkinson cycle, where the intake valves stay open part way up the compression stroke to increase thermal efficiency. Thus it is more efficient not only in the city where the electric motors aid efficiency, but on steady state highway driving too.

But with this Lexus it is probably just plain OTTO cycle. If they were smart, they have camshaft behavior where it could change from OTTO to Atkinson and back on the fly, in millieseconds, so you can have more fuel economy and also the power when you get into it. But they don't.
Part time HCCI (Sparkless diesel cycle ignition) is even more efficient, with OTTO cycle when you want power.

Also if this car had a higher capacity battery pack with a more powerful electric motor, there'd be less need for engine displacement.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

Yea its a bit odd. Even the Honda Fit and Civic have HDMI inputs now for the front infotainment system.

Because the higher end luxury vehicles are harder to come by. We got ahold of it towards the end of 2013. 2014 was mostly carryover minus one package change that added the driver assists to make it $135k, which doesn't really change our opinion of the vehicle at all. I assume 2015 will be another carryover year as well since the flagships run on 10 year product cycles.

I think at the end of the day, its because its still a very heavy boat and they are trying to replicate a V12 with good fuel economy but ultimately end up with something that doesn't do much better than a turbo V8 that has more power and much more entertaining to drive.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
I don't know but they probably have something here. I believe their hybrid implementation is well suited for this niche since buyers of this class won't be able to use all the power of a V12.
With the hybrid though, max torque would be available even at low RPMs which results in a more relaxed driving and that performance would not need an expert driver.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Yes, that's ideally what they're going for. But it doesn't offer much more smoothness than the V8. Buyers in that class won't necessarily use all of that power, but they buy it to know they have all of that power. It doesn't give you the "I just dropped $130k on a car and its awesome" type of feel.

G

This model is old, came 2007. Next year it's time for a new one.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

It was just refreshed for MY2013, which means its going to be around for another 5 years or so. High end luxury vehicles tend to have longer 10-year product cycles.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

Audi does as well but they're presets are clunkier and not as elegant / easy to assign.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

I love sport sedans. The LS is not one of those. However, I would love an LX560. Huge, unnecessary, but I'm a sucker for a luxified Land Cruiser. Hell, I'd love to build an off-road beast from the first gen LX450.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
The new IS350 is a decent looking car and I love the LFA-inspired F-Sport gauge cluster. The suspension is tuned well, but that 3.5-liter Camry V6 is too damn smooth no matter how hard you want to drive it. It doesn't throw you back in the seat and gives you that sense of urgency that makes you want to romp on it, which is disappointing from a sporty vehicle. The GS460h is my favorite hybrid, smooth power, comfortable, throws you back in the seat, and gets ~30MPG while putting a grin on your face.

I have a picture story on the new NX series coming, but they managed to make a 2.0-turbo 4 boring as hell to drive.

sportfreak23

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013

Should have said Large Sedans, I don't see the point in them anymore, beside leg room but then I think they trimmed it down a bit like what toyota did to the avalon.

I wouldn't mind a sport sedan as well for those nice days, but looking at the IS, did they fix that AWD drive tunnel shaft thing sticking into the foot well? I found that quite a turn off ;p

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

Yea, I never understood the point of buying a large sedan to drive, for the large amounts of rear legroom but you're the driver. But hey whatever floats their boat. I don't recall the IS350 AWD tunnel sticking into the foot well but its been a few months. I just can't get over how smooth and boring that 3.5-liter V6 is.

machine planet

Reputable
Jul 27, 2014
I've had a 2013 GS350 F Sport for the past year and it is definitely the sweet spot of the current Lexus 4-door lineup. The electronics and phone integration are no better than described here, but the car itself is a surprisingly thrilling drive with perfectly balanced handling and serious grip. It has that Jekel/Hyde thing that great sport sedans have: you can drive it like a hearse and impress everyone with the ride and the quiet, or you can get on it and very capably carve up your favorite road. I'm keeping mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.