2013 Nissan GT-R Black Edition: The Gran Turismo Car

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
I'll take this over the JX35 any day.
Thanks for the slightly more detailed tech review of the design. I didn't know it had two driveshafts. I'm surprised it doesn't have more maintenance issues because of that :-O

I've heard maintenance is ridiculously expensive though...oil changes because you have to take off the bottom pans, etc.

$100K for 3sec 0-60 times is good bang for the buck. Most cars even more expensive than that can only do that in 4sec... :)

maxinexus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
it is still only nissan...want adrenalin get a 1000cc sport bike...the GTRdriver will eat your dust and smell your farts as you pass it by with ease.

Elrabin

Distinguished
May 1, 2013
I had the opportunity to drive one of these bad boys at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway earlier this year.

After discussion with the racing instructor I was riding with, the GTR is the heaviest car in Exotics Racing's fleet and the second least expensive, yet the second fastest they have around their 1.2 mile 7-turn track.

Considering how big and heavy the car is, it's stunningly fast and agile as the dickins in the corners. If a newbie like me can post a 58 second lap time in it on the first time in the car and on that track, (nearly 75 mph average speed) i wonder what a pro can do.

Loved the experience, loved the car. It really is a top tier supercar at "budget" pricing.

Elrabin

Distinguished
May 1, 2013
[citation][nom]rolli59[/nom]Plenty of sites that do car reviews on the web and I hardly belief that anybody considering buying this one is going to let the NAV/Media benchmarks/performance be a deciding factor on the purchase. Tom's is moving further away from it's roots. Some people call it progress others fail.[/citation]

Get back to me when the ZR1 can corner like a GTR. Straight line? Sure. But a GTR will be able to hit the apex at a faster speed and without loss of traction. I recently went to Exotics Racing in Las Vegas and they had a Z06 that their pro driver was racing. Sure, it was fast, but it had to drift the corners. Its lap times were nowhere near as good as the same pro driver in the GTR.

it did when it first launched, its been said to have been fixed through a "software update". im just not a big fan of all these new launch control electronics. more things to break. what ever happened to knowing how to launch a car by yourself anyway?

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

Computers happened :D. Hell, driving a manual vehicle is a lost art nowadays too.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

We had the car in early January for CES before the 2014 was announced. The 2014 does have a couple tweaks but nothing that would change our conclusion or coverage.

Manuel Tamesis

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
[citation][nom]tuanies[/nom]Just out of curiosity, how much do the transmission flushes cost? I heard if you let the temp hit 250, the fluid needs to be changed right away or it will get very pissed off. And how much do the tires cost? I can't imagine those wide tires being very cheap.[/citation]
[citation][nom]natoco[/nom]It is a great bang for your buck car, but I lacks what the 300k cars have, soul and sound. Yeah I gets to 100 quick but it sounds like a vacuum doing so rather than a supercar. Would still love to have one though[/citation]

People who say that GTR "LACKS SOUL"... CLEARLY HAS NEVER DRIVEN ONE..... I can attest to that as I have one as my daily driver.

Other than that there are SO MANY pro-drivers that will contest your "statement" about the GTR...

Kid go back to riding your go-kart and leave the driving to the men....

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

If you keep the gas pedal floored and get to max power, you'll have a crisis with the police.

gshauger

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Manuel Tamesis[/nom]People who say that GTR "LACKS SOUL"... CLEARLY HAS NEVER DRIVEN ONE..... I can attest to that as I have one as my daily driver. Other than that there are SO MANY pro-drivers that will contest your "statement" about the GTR... Kid go back to riding your go-kart and leave the driving to the men....[/citation]

No but I would be happy to review mine for you

falcompsx

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
its a great car if you dont mind voiding your warranty if you drive it like a sports car. Too much tech and too fragile for its own good.

UVB076

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
[citation][nom]daswilhelm[/nom]110 grand is bang for the buck now?[/citation]
The same way a $400 graphics card is when a $400 computer is enough for most people.

UVB076

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
[citation][nom]falcompsx[/nom]its a great car if you dont mind voiding your warranty if you drive it like a sports car. Too much tech and too fragile for its own good.[/citation]
Nope.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think I'll just get a Tesla Model X AWD instead ;)

Does the GTR have cylinder deactivation or auto start stop for fuel economy (that can be disabled if you want to of course)? Doubt it but it should at that price.
What about continuously variable valve lift (known as Valvetronic, Valvematic, AVTEC)? Doubt it.
So it isn't as technically advanced under the hood as it could be.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

It has continuously variable valve timing control just on the intake side. Variable valve timing is nothing new, every company has their implementations going as far back as VTEC on a Honda. Its technically advanced because it makes a lot of reliable power and a modern DOHC engine. And at the price of the GT-R, I doubt fuel economy is on your mind. Its a motor designed for raw power. Its like asking why a GTX 690 or TITAN consumes more power than a GTX 660, does it? Yes, but do you care that it does? If you're set on buying it, most likely not.

Status
Not open for further replies.