2013 Subaru Legacy Sedan: A Mid-Size Ride With Practical Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukee1593

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Nice to see Toms doing car review now, especially with so many cars having computer based interfaces now.

Very good to see manufacturers installing driving aids such as collision detection and adaptive cruise control now. These are the precursors to completely autonomous cars and the more advanced these systems get, the closer we may get to fully autonomous cars in the near future.

My question is; when are manufacturers going to give us the option of installing a 3rd party tablet such as an Ipad or a Nexus 7/10 in the dashboard rather than putting up with their pathetic built in "infotainment" systems. I would definitely choose a car with just a blank space in the dashboard (plus charging port) for a tablet rather than buying one with a built in system. Heck I might even pay more for it. All we need is a standardized connection to interface speaker systems and steering wheel controls to the tablet.

But does it have a big back seat (if you know what I'm saying?)?

Seriously, though, within the past 5-10 years I've found many mid-sized cars these days to be small from a height standpoint in the back seat. If you're over 5'9" and sit in the back, you have to bend your neck to fit. If populations are trending toward taller people, why are car companies making back seats for shorter people?

If you want to have a vehicle where adults can sit in the back these days, they almost force you into full-size or CUV/SUV options. As a result, this seems to discourage carpooling. Maybe this is how they can push to sell more cars?

gxpbecker

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I am still sad to see the 2.5GT. The 07 Spec B was an amazing car. I am hoping the beef up that 3.6R or bring it in the 2.0GT fasion with their new turbo engine based of the BRZ's. (and redesign the car... still a bit ugly and this is coming form a person who has owned 6 subarus)

ericjohn004

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
The only thing that worrys me with these types of cars is that what if one of these things fails? Or worse, what if it causes the gas pedal to be smashed or the brakes to be smashed while your driving? I'm sure they make sure these things are functional, but anything can happen with electronics.

I love Tom's reviews. Your not going to find a better review site in the world.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

They probably won't because of liability / legality problems. Scosche teased an iPad double din mount with amp but cancelled the product. The problem is tablets have no lock out while driving, which opens the doors up to legal troubles for them. We did just get the Parrot Asteroid Smart double din with Android 2.3 in and will have a review of that soon.

Its a styling trade-off. Sloped backs look better than boxy ones so its a trade off made to appeal make cars more visually pleasing. I'd always take a station wagon over a sedan though, crossovers are just more expensive station wagons with less practicality.

The type of coverage we do on automobiles is completely different from the usual 0-60, skidpad and performance based coverage of automotive outlets. We still focus mostly on the tech.

Very jealous, great cars.

The 3.6R is still an automatic though. I would love a 6-speed manual on the 3.6R. I wanted to buy a Spec B when they were new but the Subaru sales guy was so persistent that it turned me off the brand. The 2.5GT is still sold in Japan iirc. My best friend's dad has a manual 2.5GT wagon, loved that generation. I wish they still had manual wagons that aren't Outbacks >_<

basketcase87

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
[citation][nom]thebigt42[/nom]Needs a wrx or sti option[/citation]
Please no. The reason wrx still means something is because it's not an "option" that they've decided to add onto every car in their lineup. Keep it where it belongs, as a small rally-size car.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

I believe the brake should override the gas pedal on newer cars.

They've made Forester STIs in the past but the hot Legacy was the B4 Blitzen or just Legacy GT

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

They don't have one available in the PNW fleet. The 2014 Grand Cherokee Diesel is support to make its way up here this summer though...

[citation][nom]ukee1593[/nom]Nice to see Toms doing car review now, especially with so many cars having computer based interfaces now. Very good to see manufacturers installing driving aids such as collision detection and adaptive cruise control now. These are the precursors to completely autonomous cars and the more advanced these systems get, the closer we may get to fully autonomous cars in the near future. My question is; when are manufacturers going to give us the option of installing a 3rd party tablet such as an Ipad or a Nexus 7/10 in the dashboard rather than putting up with their pathetic built in "infotainment" systems. I would definitely choose a car with just a blank space in the dashboard (plus charging port) for a tablet rather than buying one with a built in system. Heck I might even pay more for it. All we need is a standardized connection to interface speaker systems and steering wheel controls to the tablet.[/citation]

Yes, because that's not a lawsuit waiting to happen.

(Police officer) - "So what was so important that caused you to cross lanes and kill a family of 5?"
(You) - "I was playing angry birds."

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

Its a car built for the purpose of AWD, some people need it year round and this car is still worlds ahead of other midsizes for AWD. But yes the others are racing ahead in terms of styling, infotainment, etc... The mid-size segment is very exciting and competitive IMO.

V B

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
T G tried reviewing cameras, it did not work now cars, looks like grasping for the straws to save the site. What next? Baby's pacifiers ?
Just saying...

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Too bad their first mild hybrid, the Crosstek Hybrid, is pretty disappointing. I hope they make some full hybrids by 2016 or so, that is when I heard they will release some real hybrids

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Maybe take a look at the 2014 Mazda CX-5 if you get a chance. That is a nice car with a lot of tech in it as well. I just got a Touring AWD with the Moonroof and BOSE package and have been loving it (the larger engine on the 2014 is very nice as well).

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

I'm more interested in their diesel motor, tbh.

Because cars have a lot of technology in them nowadays and use SoCs similar to those in tablets and smartphones.

There's one available in the fleet, but I really want to check out the Mazda 6 as well. I do like the CX5 however. Great car for the rather boring market.

Status
Not open for further replies.