2014 Equus Review: Are You Ready For A $70,000 Hyundai?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilsner

Honorable
May 29, 2012
o_O it is an exact replica of a mercedes e-class. Even the interiors match completely... Or is it just me?
Yes, they took a lot of styling cues from Mercedes. The front grille, headlights and rear lights are quite similar to the E class Mercs. The first thing I thought when I saw the pictures on the first page of this article was "that looks like a Mercedes copy". Surely not coincidental - other Hyundai models look like 1-series or 3-series BMW. I do not think it is bad to take cues from successful design, it should just not be so obvious that it becomes the first thing people notice when they look at your car.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
All vehicle styling is derivative nowadays. However, the Equus is a pretty good Mercedes replica. But they are still new to the luxury class so they're banking on familiarity instead of trying to stand out for the people who want bargain luxury but still want people to ask if its a Mercedes Benz.

Hyundai with this car is where Lexus and Infiniti were in the late 1980s: going after BMW and Mercedes flagships (7-series, S-class respectively). However, the difference is that Lexus and Infiniti are strictly a luxury car brand off their parent companies. This car is, well, still a Hyundai. It has a certain class stigma to it. If I had $70k to spend on a luxury ride, I'd rather buy a two year old off-lease certified car by Mercedes, BMW, or Audi over this thing brand new. Any day of the week. If Hyundai wanted to go after the top dogs, they should have spun off their own Luxury brand to shed the image of an economy-class Korean label. Besides, it remains to be seen how well these latest Korean cars that have come out looking pretty good over the last two or three years or so hold up long term. I wouldn't bet on them for a long term keeper.

brenro12

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
o_O it is an exact replica of a mercedes e-class. Even the interiors match completely... Or is it just me?
Yes, they took a lot of styling cues from Mercedes. The front grille, headlights and rear lights are quite similar to the E class Mercs. The first thing I thought when I saw the pictures on the first page of this article was "that looks like a Mercedes copy". Surely not coincidental - other Hyundai models look like 1-series or 3-series BMW. I do not think it is bad to take cues from successful design, it should just not be so obvious that it becomes the first thing people notice when they look at your car.

BhimaJ

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
My Hyundai Elantra is a solid car. Having said that, if I had $70k to drop on a vehicle, it has to be something really special, something that represents the best of what we can engineer today in that class and a nod to inspire the future. Honestly there really isn't another luxury car in this price class that competes with the Tesla S. It is simply a technologically superior car to any of the others on the market in its class.

JoBales

Honorable
Feb 20, 2014
Strange how when perceived low-cost company Volkswagen tried to release the high-end, technologically sophisticated VW Phaeton in the U.S. a while back, it didn't sell enough to continue the model here. But Hyundai sells the Equus and it seems to be the sweetheart of the car mags and blogs. Truthfully, I'd take the VW before the Hyundai. Of course, VW did start selling higher end products like the Toureg now. Maybe if they'd done this before offering the Phaeton the marketplace might have accepted it easier. Of course, the problem there is that when you get into the 70k-100k field that Phaeton was in, you are in competition with VW's Audi luxury division which, considering the two, would be a no-brainer.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

That was their problem, they competed with themselves. The Phaeton wasn't much cheaper than the A8. The Equus is significantly cheaper than a comparable LS460 and on the LS you can't have adaptive cruise control with the executive rear seating in the same package.

The Phaeton is an awesome car though.

pilsner

Honorable
May 29, 2012
The Phaeton is an awesome car though.
Yes, the only real problem that car ever had is the Volkswagen name. Otherwise it is an awesome luxury car, right up there with Mercedes S class etc., even surpassing them in some regards back when the Phaeton was new on the market. Good thing is that because of that flaw, it is a real bargain as a used car. Well, until the car needs a repair, that is. The youtube videos of the "Glaeserne Manufaktur" are awesome to watch.

Terry Perry

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
Except all cars after 3-4 years lose half their value in 4 years this car will be worth 40,000 $ if the millage isn't to high. Where a 20,000 will only lose 10,000 $ that is why it's stupid because you also have to take into the High Insurance you will pay on 70,000 $ car. Why I Don't do Porsche anymore lose to much money. My neighbor bought a 90,000 $ Porsche and in 3 years with 40,000 miles he could only get 60,000 $ He has 3 tickets in one year so it had to go.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Definitely the best technology package for the vehicles you have reviewed thus far. Also I am pretty sure its the British who started using the control knob first, not the Germans.I don't see how this article was more than 3 pages for a tech site. I don't think anyone here cares about the case design as long as the internal components are good.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

I believe iDrive may have been first. I don't know of any British Car that uses a control knob for the navi.

Haha the Equus line is fairly population out here, and it's been around for a while. The two cars domestic cars that scream "I'm rich" are the Equus and Chairman. This is just them trying to bring them to the US that's all.

Lutfij

Titan
From almost every angle I see this car, it always reminds me of the Toyota Crown from its elegant exterior all the way to flushed angular designs.I still chalk this up as a really good production from a company like Hyundai.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

Yea, it took them long enough to bring the Equus over here. I believe the KDM Equus still has the 4 seat configuration with fridge in the back? The Chairman is an interesting car with its Mercedes powertrain. But, how do you say SsangYong? Is it just pronounced as it would without the extra S at the beginning?

Ah the Toyota Crown. I love the 80s and 90s version so much.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

Fixed, thanks for pointing that out.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

I haven't been a fan of the Crown since 2003 on. They lost that simplistic, yet very Japanese look of the earlier generations. The boxy elegant look had this Japanese take on a Mercedes feel to it. The newer ones just kind of look like fancier Avalons.

Lutfij

Titan
:lol: yeah you've got the point spot on about Avalon knock offs :p

For the record , Top Gear had that show cased in their show, British auto makers don't have a control knob, they go by sight or touch not a turn :p

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

And that's why I hate Jaguar / Land Rover infotainment systems. For $100k, there better be more than a touch screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.