Question 2014 HP Omen not powering up

iCeQubeTomato

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Hi all seeking for your assistance on this.

I have the 2014 HP Omen 15 laptop. I recently purchased a new battery for it after noticing that the old battery was swelling. While waiting for the new battery's arrival, I have taken the old battery out and the laptop has been powered by the AC adaptor ever since.

Today the new battery arrived and after installing it in, the laptop did not power up. First thought that came into my mind was the static built up so I pressed the power button for a minute, with and without the battery, it was still not turning on. And now I'm questioning if my AC adaptor is also fried (though weird it was working this morning before I unplugged it for the battery installation) cause the laptop is still not powering on without the battery.

I have also tried to restore the BIOS by holding Windows Key + B or V + Power button for 3 seconds, and it isn't booting still.

Never thought giving this laptop new life could cause me so much trouble. If you guys have any similar experience or anything you could share to help me revive this beloved laptop would be awesome!

Thanks in advance.

sounds very odd if battery was externally accessable. if you had to open the laptop maybe you shorted something out when battery connector was connected to motherboard. What do you mean by not powering on, no chargi g light? No power light when you plugin power cable? or lights come up but nothing happens when you press button

iCeQubeTomato

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
sounds very odd if battery was externally accessable. if you had to open the laptop maybe you shorted something out when battery connector was connected to motherboard. What do you mean by not powering on, no chargi g light? No power light when you plugin power cable? or lights come up but nothing happens when you press button

I'm not sure what I may have accidentally shorted cause it isn't the first time I removed a battery due to the same reason. I'll double check tho.

The laptop is not turning on at all regardless of me using the new battery, old battery, AC adaptor only and both. The LED indicator usually lights up whenever it receives power but not since yesterday.

May 29, 2020
This actually happened to me once, one of this connectors was not properly seated, and was still up.

hER523R.png

iCeQubeTomato

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
This actually happened to me once, one of this connectors was not properly seated, and was still up.

hER523R.png
Unfortunately that isnt my issue either.

So I had a third party technician diagnose the problem and he told me it's due to something called 'Power Chip' was blown. He said a sudden insertion of my AC adaptor into the laptop may have caused an internal sparkle that killed it, and can be replaced without swapping the entire motherboard. This is the first time I heard about this. Any truth to it and how do I source a part like this?

hes probably very right , might of been a short, can they replace it or you need to provide them with the part?

Is the chip completely melted and u cant read from it? Put some isoprophyl alcohol on the chip and use maginfying glass to read the part number.

Check motherboard model number, written somewhere on the motherboard need that to check schematics etc if there even are

iCeQubeTomato

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
It's difficult find based on where I'm at and given how old the laptop has been.

I do not have the laptop at the moment. In fact I dont even know how it look like or where its located on the mobo. I tried to google it up doesnt seem to have a lot of info about it.

iCeQubeTomato

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
hes probably very right , might of been a short, can they replace it or you need to provide them with the part?

Is the chip completely melted and u cant read from it? Put some isoprophyl alcohol on the chip and use maginfying glass to read the part number.

Check motherboard model number, written somewhere on the motherboard need that to check schematics etc if there even are

Ok there's this, when I plugged the power in the chip felt warm (see link to the pic). What part is this?
https://ibb.co/8Mtydyz