2014 Mazda5 Sport: Say Hello To Tom's Hardware's Project Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Thanks guys. Next up will be a Blind-spot monitor system from Gosher's, ScanGaugeE, and some sort of wireless storage. Even have a set of Mazdaspeed 3 wheels ready to go, just waiting on tires :)

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
I recently picked up a non-Nav equipped CX-9 Grand Touring AWD. I look forward to the head unit reviews. So far, I've put on an aftermarket trailer hitch, and half installed a Pyle backup camera system.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

How do you like the CX9 so far? The CX5 is still one of my favorites to drive. I've yet to get into a CX9 but I do love the Ford Flex, its platform mate.

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
It's been good so far. I got it at the end of April, so haven't had it too long. The only thing I don't care for is the headroom up front. I'm 6'3", and If I have the seat adjusted more upright like I prefer, my noggin hits the roof.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

How's the driving dynamics? The CX-9 is supposed to be fairly sporty compared to the usual dreadful driving CUVs.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
The first gen Durango's are awesome. I still love how they look. The MDX is nice. I drove the latest one and its a very nice car minus the annoying dual screen infotainment system. The price tag didn't help sway me either. As much as I enjoy driving expensive cars, I'm quite frugal when it comes to my own car :)

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
I don't need anymore cars, but you sure it's not just a sensor? My dad picked up a '97 Grand Cherokee 5.2 a few years ago with a bad tranny. Turns out it was a bad sensor or something. Been running fine.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
THANK YOU for the LED headlight install. I have been watching this tech and am intrigued at the LED headlight kits on Ebay for under $100 that look similar to the kit you bought. It's now competitive to HID kits, though not as bright especially compared with 55w HID kits.

Maybe if you adjust your headlight up a bit with the adjustment screw the light pattern will be better?

I would be skeptical that power into the LED is 35 watts. Most say 25 watts or so on Ebay. More watts is more heat and less lumens/watt probably.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

I wanted to like them so much but the way they're designed, you can't really get proper lighting out of them. If you're in the city and only need close range lighting, sure they'll suffice. However, I live in the country side and being able to see the signs way down is necessary. I ended up pulling them out and buying wiring harnesses to install H9 bulbs. They're 65-watt and 2100 lumens. Life span is shorter but they're only $15 a piece.

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008

I've thought about the possibility of it just being a pressure sensor. The transmissions in these are notoriously bad, though. I haven't decided if I want to bother with it yet or not.

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Did that less than 10k before this. Went from WI to Badlands and back just fine last year. Did everything to it as far as maintenance right before the trip out. Mechanics are family, so I trust them. ;)

chyll2

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
for Headlight, you can try HIDs, of course being responsible driver as we are, you need to do it properly to avoid glare or disturb the incoming traffic. This is where retrofitting HID projector comes in and there are a lot of information out there in the net. What is even better, there are some package out there that runs on 35W but can really deliver the 3x promise VS halogen (the same promise that LED HL was suppose to deliver but it really lack something)

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

I'm not quite ready to retrofit the headlights. I may end up just pickup a set of JDM HID projectors and dropping in an HID kit. The International headlights don't have the amber reflector, which I prefer.

The trouble with the dashcam being on only when the car is on is that when you do get in a crash, more than likely, the dashcam will cease recording, thereby not catching the other party's actions afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.