2014 Mazda5 Sport: Tom's Hardware's Project Car Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

md1032

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My 2012 Mazdaspeed3 has the factory BSM and it's also really sensitive...it will detect road barriers and objects 3-4 feet away as being a car when I'm on a narrower road.

C3N4

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
How about an Around-View-Monitor type system like in Infinitis and Nissans? Hopefully you could tie it into your existing Goshers BSM system so you don’t have to rewire new sensors.

Also, what about adding some type of HUD system that can sync up with your head unit and/or smartphone?

Finally, what about adding some remote controlled actuators that can remotely and automatically open your sliding doors?

C3N4

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
How about an Around-View-Monitor type system like in Infinitis and Nissans? Hopefully you could tie it into your existing Goshers BSM system so you don’t have to rewire new sensors.

Also, what about adding some type of HUD system that can sync up with your head unit and/or smartphone?

Finally, what about adding some remote controlled actuators that can remotely and automatically open your sliding doors?

C3N4

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014

M3God

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2004
My wife owns a 2012 Mazda5. Great little car. However the dyno results do not add up. Was the dynojet set-up to spit out crank numbers? 154 rwhp is about 186 crank HP. Was the dynojet calibrated correctly? Dynojets are notorious for giving high numbers especially is calibration is off. I drive her far and it does not have that much HP. I am pretty sure Mazda did not underrate the motor by 30 hp if anything they would advertize the extra HP as the car definitely needs it. Another dyno run would be awesome as I am very curious what the true number will be.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

I never experienced that with any factory implementation, but my time in a 2ndGen MS3 was quite limited. I also don't usually go down narrower roads in the press cars either, so that may be why.

I only found one company that makes it aftermarket. Mazda offers a system in Japan, but I haven't quite found a way to look up the part numbers and get them to the US quite yet. The around view monitor systems don't have sensors, its just four cameras.. My wife has it on her Leaf and I love it.

So far the aftermarket HUD units I've found only connect to your smartphone. Navdy is releasing one soon and we're looking into that. I love HUDs though.

As for the automatic sliding doors, its a factory option on Japanese models. I've yet to speak to anyone at Mazda USA that's too familiar with the JDM implementations to figure it out. That and my wife's previous car, a 2011 VW Routan had power sliding doors and I found them more annoying after a while since the car had to be in park for them to work, so you couldn't just have your foot on the break, let someone out and keep going. They were also slower than the manual ones too.

The dynojet is calibrated properly. If her car is a automatic, that could be why. The 5-speed auto sucks quite a bit of power and fun from the car and is tuned mostly for economy. There's also more powerloss through the torque converter as well. It could be they chose a middle number that was representative for the manual and the auto. The 2.5 MZR makes varying levels of power in every car, the Mazda5's 157hp is the lowest of all I believe. I'm also barely above sea level too.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
A little out of topic but will it be possible for you guys to review the HUD in the new Toyora Prius? I haven't seen any review yet from what I understand there's a freaking HUD in the freaking windshield! Am I the only one psyched for this? Will we be using cars like the ones in iRobot? Please review it Tom's Hardware!!!!

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

Which Prius? The current Toyota HUD is awful in the Prius and the RX350. Its very pixelated and single color. If you want your mind blown, go check out the HUD in the Hyundai Genesis, any GM vehicle, BMW, Mercedes, etc... They're full color and offer navigation, radio information, driver assists, etc... I love them in every car.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

I didn't want an Accord. The current Accord's seats are uncomfortable to me. They're too wide and my butt isn't big enough so it just makes my back hurt since I get no support from the bolsters.

random196

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Good article. We have a 2013 M5 Sport, with automatic transmission. We ditched the OEM 205/55-16 tires (Toyo A20s) at about 18,000 miles. Slipped from dead stop under dry conditions, and slipped in wet conditions under many conditions. I felt these were just unsafe and replaced them with Hankook Ventus S2 Noble S2s. Much better overall traction, but I managed to spin the tires once from dead stop on dry pavement one. I think the M5 is too light a vehicle for the 205/55-16s, which may be too wide. Maybe a 195/55-16 will be better the next time around for more ground pressure (and more friction).

Overall, its a versatile car for a very good value, and we like it alot. A bit noisy on the highway and lacking in some amenities. I'd also be interested if you tried adding Daylight Running Lights, as the Sport version did not come with these due to another cost cutting measure.

random196

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Good article. We have a 2013 M5 Sport, with automatic transmission. We ditched the OEM 205/55-16 tires (Toyo A20s) at about 18,000 miles. Slipped from dead stop under dry conditions, and slipped in wet conditions under many conditions. I felt these were just unsafe and replaced them with Hankook Ventus S2 Noble S2s. Much better overall traction, but I managed to spin the tires once from dead stop on dry pavement one. I think the M5 is too light a vehicle for the 205/55-16s, which may be too wide. Maybe a 195/55-16 will be better the next time around for more ground pressure (and more friction).

Overall, its a versatile car for a very good value, and we like it alot. A bit noisy on the highway and lacking in some amenities. I'd also be interested if you tried adding Daylight Running Lights, as the Sport version did not come with these due to another cost cutting measure.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

I don't think any of them have DRLs. The optional foglights are about as good as DRLs though. I can't justify the $300 it'd cost for two simple lights and a switch so I've been holding off on it. I might replace the rear motor mount to get more power to the ground, but yes I can spin the tires depending on how hard I launch it from a stop. The wider tires and heavier wheel combo seems to be a bit better though.

You can pickup LED DRLs off eBay for $160 or so. I might do that after the fog lights. I need to work on the next installment, but the car did get fitted with Megan Racing coilovers for a little drop.

P1120354 by tuanies, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.