2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan: Android, Atom and More

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flicules

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I have become a little dissapointed lately with you guys covering only spaceships instead of more down-to-earth cars(price wise). I really doubt that a guy who affords an A8, a Bentley or this Hyundai really bothers to check reviews on the internet...It's nice to get a taste of the future...but a balanced mix would be better i think. Feels a bit like Top Gear :D

Strange car. Looks like an Aston Martin from the front and a Hyundai Elantra from the rear. One big mistake they made is they really overdid that fake wood paneling. That "wood dashboard" is hideous. It looks like it belongs in a Jeep Wagoneer.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

The problem with Hybrids on big vehicles is there's very little benefit. The next review will be of the Lexus LS600hL and the fuel economy is only about 2MPG better in the city but 1MPG worse on the highway, at the cost of 2 Equus'.

Judging by that, anything in that $50k range is a hobo's Bentley.

Interestingly enough, the GT-R, A8L, Equus and Bentley are the stories where there was someone that chimed in saying they owned one. But that's where there's all the advanced in-car tech. While I have come across lesser cars, there's not enough tech or new features from another model for a complete story. I do plan on having a quick story on the new WRX/STI, Fiesta ST, and eventually Mazda3. However, I believe the next round of updates to compact and subcompact cars should bring new tech that will be worth covering. We're working with vehicles on a 5-year development cycle so what was new 5-years ago is what shows up for production.

We will also start a project car series as well with my new 2014 Mazda5 Sport 6MT that I'm working to upgrade with whatever bits of tech I can get my hands on from the aftermarket.

That wood paneling is actually real matte wood. Its porous and treated.

There's high-tech gadgetry going on all over this vehicle, but I always find it funny when auto companies throw in an analog clock to take up some space on the center console (in addition to the digital clock up in the main display). I guess if you never learned to read a digital clock you can always fall back on your analog clock reading skills? Personally, I'd prefer some iteration of a sundial in place of an analog clock.

BranFlake5

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
Nope! This is not a luxury car of my taste. I'd buy an Audi A4 Quattro before even considering this thing. Heck, I'd buy a Tesla for a bit more.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I've always thought that's kind of random too. Let's put the highest tech you can possibly imagine in a car, charge $50K for it, then it's put a 10 cent time piece in the center of the dashboard. :lol:

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

Yeah I've always thought that's kind of random too. Let's put the highest tech you can possibly imagine in a car, charge $50K for it, then it's put a 10 cent time piece in the center of the dashboard. :lol:

Yea, for some reason analog clock = classy. At least there's a digital read out now.

I have to think it's something to do with common center console design. They just don't know what to do with the space. I saw the same thing in a higher-end town and country mini-van.

I like the Hyundai warranties. You can't beat them. I wish more auto companies were doing this. Heck, my $250 PSU has a longer warranty than most $50K cars.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
I have to think it's something to do with common center console design. They just don't know what to do with the space. I saw the same thing in a higher-end town and country mini-van.

I like the Hyundai warranties. You can't beat them. I wish more auto companies were doing this. Heck, my $250 PSU has a longer warranty than most $50K cars.

Its because analogue clocks are associated with classiness / luxuriousness. Hence why the T&C has the clock but the Dodge Caravan with a similar dashboard does not. I just find it extremely obnoxious when they use a infotainment linked analogue clock (ie the time is set by the infotainment system) but eliminate a digital readout completely. Sure it looks nice, but I'd like my clock in digital so I can quickly read it while driving and not have to play the guessing games with quick glimpses.

I think I see what your mean, but if they were going for "classy" clock, it wouldn't have numeric markers of any kind. The analog clocks in these vehicles look cheap; kind of like what you'd see on grandma's old wind-up alarm clock.

jimbo2e371

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
Having driven the earlier version... I found the power and acceleration to be quite good. The leather seats however needed some side supports... if you put it into a corner hard, your butt was trying to slide across the seat. For the price and the warranty, this is a nice car.Hyundai's design shop is turning out some nice, if not interesting stuff. With the prices and the warranty being what they are... I will be giving them a serious look when I add a car for my son.

I purchased a 2014 E350 for my daughter and you want to compare it to a Hyundai?! Okay they both have 4 doors, 4 wheels, trunk and a hood .. end of comparison. Once you get behind the wheel and drive it out the parking lot you'll quickly realize the differences, not to mention if you have the misfortune of an accident.

The Hyundai's are fine cars, but so are Porsche, Bentley, Rolls, Lamborghini, Bugatti, etc and comparing them is nearly ridiculousness and each has its markets. I recall a review on my old 500SL and them complaining it was 15 MPG; like spending (then) nearly a $100K for a convertible (2nd car) sports car I or anyone gives a crap!

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

It competes with the E350. And at the same price, the Hyundai has real wood, higher quality leather, more driver's assistance / safety features, and I'm sure the chassis is reinforced and just as safe as the E350. I've driven an E250 Bluetec with a bunch of options. Its a great car, but it wasn't $15k better (MSRP was about $64k iirc).

Then you're comparing some base model Bluetec MB with vinyl (MB TEX) seats to leather. The DISTRONIC PLUS® with Steering Assist is a car that you need to test drive on an optioned E350 - http://techcenter.mercedes-benz.com/_en/distronic_plus_steering_assist/detail.html

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

I'm comparing it to the base because that's the closest one in terms of price. A loaded V6 Genesis with Ultimate Package is $49k and a base E350 is $51k. That is a fair comparison. Once you option out the E350, it gets to be $10-15k more for the same amount of equipment. As I said before, Distronic Plus with Steering Assist is awesome on the Mercedes, but Hyundai gives you similar functionality for a lot less money. I'm not saying Mercedes doesn't have those options, just once you add everything to reach the same amount of content as the Genesis, you're paying more. Think of Hyundai as AMD, the underdog and Mercedes being NVIDIA.

Try comparing the Hyundai to a Bentley, you'd have the engine maybe the drivetrain, wheels and a few parts. Some cars as I said in my 1st post you simply cannot compare.

Now if you want to compare a base Hyundai to a base Mercedes then even that is out of whack but doable, but if you want to compare 'Genesis with Ultimate Package' then lets compare a full loaded 'E Class' E63 AMG S-Model 4MATIC Sedan to it.

Personally I'm an S-Class fan, S550 4MATIC, but sure I've considered BMW 7-Series, Bentley Continental's, Lexus LS's, Porsche Panamera and even the Maserati Quattroporte. It gets down to what you like and in many cases getting the damn thing serviced unless you live in a large city. However comparing a car to some GPU is utterly ridiculous.

I 'get' people have budgets and perceived value, but a car at least to me is a personal statement and what the individual both likes and can afford. Then you have to factor in feelings: how does car make you feel as an individual, (everything in between), to lastly but a reality the people and dealership (fellow owners, facilities, loaner cars, and other creature comforts). I purchased my first E300 back in 1987 or a couple years out of college, but our favorite 'car experience' was a Lincoln Navigator with TV's and N64/PS (games) when my daughter was a national figure skater and we traveled from competition to competition.

Cars are more than stats on a page! Eventually you'll figure that all out...

Status
Not open for further replies.