2015 Hyundai Sonata: A Refined Entry In A Crowded Segment

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

The Mazda 6 is still the best in my eyes, but the infotainment system they use is horrible. Toyota Entune is very dated as well.

From what I've heard, the previous gen sold very well in the US but was a flop internationally, hence why they went back to more conventional styling. I don't expect them to sell many turbos this time around, or those that will don't care about raw output numbers.

punahou1

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
My next car will NOT be connected to the internet or any other cloud based technology. I can see it now - terrorists hack into multiple cars and initiate an acceleration virus....

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

Or compromise Tesla's Autopilot system remotely...

gbair

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
The new steering wheel controls look pretty similar to the '14 Kia Optimas, which I didn't really like.

Kary K

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
Not terribly impressed with the Apple solution if it requires USB. I probably won't like the Android solution either. but then I'm fairly happy with the various players being able to connect to a car stereo by BT. Smartphones change too much to buy a car based on what they are currently like.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
UGLY! What the hell were the design engineers thinking? Far worse design versus ALL of the previous generation body styles. I don't give a crap about the interior design, if the outside of my car is going to look like that? Hyundai really needs to consider firing the moron senior engineer that allowed this ugliness to go into production. Damn.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

USB is a must IMO or you'll just have something very demanding draining your phone and pissed off customers wondering why their battery life sucks.

Its rumored to come soon IIRC.

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
Thanks for reminding some idiots out there to use their turn signals. I see at least 2 of 10 people not using turn signals all the time. This is in Portland, Oregon area.

zubikov

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
This looks like a desperate knock-off from a Ford Fusion. Watch Hyundai market the car with carefully-chosen slightly-better specs than other mid-size sedans. Thankfully I've had a chance to drive many sedans over the years, and I know that Hyundai is always the low end in every category.

The 2015 Sonata also reminds me of Samsung's just-in-time attempts at copycat smartphones over the years. Can anyone in South Korea think original anymore?

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

I despise driving in downtown Portland. I understand pedestrians have right of way and everything, but does nobody look both ways before diving into the street while texting on their phone?

I don't think it looks like the Fusion at all. Hyundai has come a long way and the Sonata is competitive. It's more going after the Camry and Accord. I'd say the Fusion is more on the sporting side and not too big whereas the Camry and Accord have gone nearly full-size like the Sonata. Hell, the Sonata is almost as big as the Azera, which makes the higher end car only suitable for people that want V6 power. Now come to think of it, maybe they detuned the turbo to get more people in Azeras?

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
Hey I'm around Portland OR / Vancouver Wa too. Aggravating when someone comes in close in front of you without turn signals. A quick toot of my train horn releases my pressure

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

A Toyota is always a safe bet if that's what you want. For me, the drive is too dull and boring to ever consider it.

Which reminds me I need to find a set of Hella horns for the Project Mazda 5 and my wife's Leaf.

Kary K

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014

Well, that raises another question--does the car's USB connection offer a 2.1 amp circuit?

But in any case, for shorter trips I like the ability to just hop into the car and use a BT connection, not even touching my phone.

I was once cut off by a no-signal lane changer. I caught up to him at a red light and called out the window "Your right turn signal is out." I meant it as sarcasm.

He pulled over, checked his turn signal, and it was out. He thanked me. Glad I didn't curse him out for being to lazy to use it instead of my cool, understated sarcasm.

Kary K

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014

Maybe May1 is just confused by the sound-alike name. ;)

In any case, both companies make good cars, so that would be a reason to buy a Hyundai.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014

Which reminds me I need to find a set of Hella horns for the Project Mazda 5 and my wife's Leaf.[/quotemsg]

Hornblasters sells the train horns, requires some space for the air system though. Someone managed to put the horns under the hood of a Smart car. I have the entire Shocker 240 system under the hood of my Civic.. Wanting to buy a used Volt, maybe put the horns and tank under the car just behind the battery and gas tank?
Anyway it's quite an attention getter

Status
Not open for further replies.