[2016] Suggestion New Desktop Build for Physics/Mathematics analysis

blackcesar

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
Hi everyone,

I have to choose and prepare a new desktop to put in our lab for doing new simulations and, generally speaking, mathematical/physical applications (no gaming).
I selected a few components with a total budget of 3000 euros. I will post it and I would like to receive some feedbacks as well as changes.

CPU:I7-6700k 1151
MOBO: Asus Z170 Pro
RAM:Corsair Vengeance LED 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200
GPU: X2 Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1
PSU: Corsair CS750M
SSD: Samsung MZ-7KE512BW SSD 850 PRO
HDD:Seagate STBD2000201
Case: Case MasterCase Pro 5
Price: 2851 euros

I have problems regarding the cooler. Is better a liquid cooler or just a "standard" one? If you want more specifications regarding the operations that we need to do, I will be glad to add more information. In any case we will use the GPU to run simulations in several systems (NAMD, GROMACS, ecc ecc), so the desktop needs to stay on for a long sessions of time.

Many thanks

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
Your list does not contain a cpu cooler. I recommend a good air cooler like the CRYORIG R1 Ultimate or Noctua D14/D15.

Are you sure you need TWO 1080s?

You MUST get a better psu. That one is a terrible option for such an expensive build.

blackcesar

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015

Hey thanks for the advice. According to these benchmark 2 1080 are a really good choice :
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/hpc/NAMD-Molecular-Dynamics-Performance-on-NVIDIA-GTX-1080-and-1070-GPU-815/
http://ambermd.org/gpus/benchmarks.htm

Can you explain more regarding the psu please? I though a 750w would be more than enough. Air cooler are really enough for this setup going full load for several hour?

Best regards.

blackcesar

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015

Thanks a lot!
So an air cooler is enough and I need to change the PSU, good. Regarding the CPU dunno if I should go for a xeon, although someone are very expensive or if the I6700k will suffice.

blackcesar

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015

Cool thanks. I'm a little bit worried about the space. 2 1080 in sli with that air cooler (which seems quite bit) plus the RAM may be too much for the MOBO. According to their user guide the noctua fits without touching ram or gpu (http://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/comp#socket_3297_manuf_30), but considering that they will be in SLI I'm afraid they could be not enough space.
Is it a real possibility or I'm just worrying for nothing?

Just butting in with a few points:
Consider the Xeon option, they're often better suited to this kind of number crunching that general purpose CPUs like the i7, consult your software documentation or contact the vendor to check.
Don't forget to add some decent fans, if you'll be running the system under heavy load for hours at a time, good cooling is going to be essential.

blackcesar

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015

Exactly! That's why I thought about putting a liquid cooler, but many adding extra fans are already enough?
It seems that my budget could also go higher. I will have to propose 2 different versions. One up to 3000 and one up to 8000, so now I have to "build" the 8000 one. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Edit

CPU: i7 5960x
MOBO: Rampage V extreme (looking for dual socket mobos right now)
PSU: AX1200i/1500i
GPU: 1080 X4

TRENDING THREADS