2017 Q1 bad time to upgrade PC?

ITER85

Reputable
Jan 9, 2017
2017 Q1 bad time to upgrade PC? I'm thinking it is as AMD has new processors out shortly and Kaby lake is only a stepping stone to intels new processor architecture later this year.

Basically I want to upgrade but think now is not the time. Any thoughts?

I currently have the following:
i5-2500k 3.3GHz
Radeon R9 390
GDDR5 8GB

Rather than buying a whole new system right now would you recommend I just upgrade perhaps the CPU for the time being?

Cheers!

Solution
I'll be honest: OC your CPU, get teh SSD, the cooler, and add 8 more GB of ram. the 390 is still a very good card. the 1070 isn't worth what you'll get in upgrade at 1080p. Especially if you're in between jobs, don't spend money on frivolous things! rent, bills and food come before improving your gaming PC!

ITER85

Reputable
Jan 9, 2017
So my issue is I want to play cities skylines heavily modded which my PC cannot do due to (I think...) the CPU. Also its a noisy F****r when trying to run it!

logainofhades

Titan

Which it may be, but I would still try the cooler, and overclock, first. It can always be reused on a nice new 7600k. :)

ITER85

Reputable
Jan 9, 2017
Ok, I think I was mistaken about the CPU causing me trouble. I think its the GPU now (primarily). So I think the plan now will be to get a GTX 1070, be quiet case and a new super quiet CPU cooler to hopefully make my rig a lot quieter. I'll look into over clocking the CPU too as you suggested so thanks. I can always add a new mobo bundle in at a later date if required.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Q1 is a bad time to upgrade. Everybody is dropping new releases, from amd to Intel to nvidia. That means initial prices, impulse buyers, maximum not for you profit. Give it a few months. Prices will level as impulse demand goes down and shelves see larger amounts of stock, competition starts as initial impulse 'gotta have the newest tech!' buyers decline etc. Then there's always partner vendors coming out with revisions, differing models etc.
Your 2500 ain't broke, and probably won't be in the next few months, and games aren't about to make any radical changes, you'll probably be running the same games 3 months from now.

You'll be better off for the wait.

ITER85

Reputable
Jan 9, 2017
Problem is im between jobs at the moment so now is the time I can game to my hearts content so will be getting something. I think I have settled on the following for roughly £715:
MSI Geforce GTX 1070 ARMOR OC 8GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler
Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 Orange Gaming
Samsung EVO 850 500GB 2.5" SATA III SSD

I currently have
GPU - R9 390
MoBo - P8Z68-V
PSU - BeQuiet 850w
RAM - 8GB DDR3
CPU - i5-2500k

So I think with the additions this should be a quiet and powerful PC if I OC the CPU. Do you approve? Only question I have really is should I just get another 390 instead and crossfire? But given that I can sell the 390 to offset the cost of the 1070 I dont think its worth it.

I'll be honest: OC your CPU, get teh SSD, the cooler, and add 8 more GB of ram. the 390 is still a very good card. the 1070 isn't worth what you'll get in upgrade at 1080p. Especially if you're in between jobs, don't spend money on frivolous things! rent, bills and food come before improving your gaming PC!

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Agreed, the 1070 isn't that much of a step up over the 390 in many games, just the few that seem tailor made for nvidia cards. At 1080p, there's pretty much nothing the 390 can't handle.

There's only 1 thing that makes noise in a pc. It's fans. Crappy fans and lousy airflow make for higher temps, which end up making the fans spin faster, so get louder. If you need to add fans in the new case, just make sure they are quality and quiet. Will make a world of difference.