2018 newbie build - Intel MOBO ?

texascedd

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016
I am being overwhelmed by these MOBO decisions.

i have a desktop HP6654y that went down I am wanting to rebuild with that case as i have a gang of parts, and not needing a complete system.

My question is I am looking at ATX Intel's LGA-1151 MOBOS

overclocking is not a high priority
USB 3.0, Bluetooth, and wireless is
and I would like to use the newest intel architecture not the extreme as i run i3-6100 something comparable or a tad better

on a budget reason I am trying to build a rig for once

thanks group and happy new years

Solution
The i3-8100 would be the modern low-end chip you might want to aim for but at the moment, only the expensive z370 motherboards are available for it so you'll have to wait a few more weeks/months for the more affordable b/h3xx variants to launch.

USB3 isn't really a factor since all Intel chipsets going all the way back to the 77-series have native USB3 support. If you meant type-C, you can simply use A-to-C cables or adapters and call that a day, should be a non-factor. For Bluetooth and WiFi, you can easily add those with USB adapters, much easier than finding a motherboard on a budget that has the exact combination of extras you seek.
Well you cant use the I3-6100 on a Coffee Lake mobo. Unless you buy a Coffee Lake CPU as well

If you stick with the I3-6100 you're stuck with Skylake or Kaby Lake mobos

If you want wifi BT, and USB 3 (most mobos have this now), quite a few Gigabyte mobos have wifi onboard (not sure about BT tho)

InvalidError

Titan
The i3-8100 would be the modern low-end chip you might want to aim for but at the moment, only the expensive z370 motherboards are available for it so you'll have to wait a few more weeks/months for the more affordable b/h3xx variants to launch.

USB3 isn't really a factor since all Intel chipsets going all the way back to the 77-series have native USB3 support. If you meant type-C, you can simply use A-to-C cables or adapters and call that a day, should be a non-factor. For Bluetooth and WiFi, you can easily add those with USB adapters, much easier than finding a motherboard on a budget that has the exact combination of extras you seek.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
Skylake/Kaby Lake LGA1151 isn't compatible with Coffee Lake LGA1151. Instead of looking at "socket name" which can be spelled 50 different ways depending on how pendantic you want to be about including every detail of the CPU substrate and package into the name, look for motherboard chipset. Only 350/370-series chipsets work with Coffee Lake CPUs even though they have the same pin count and use the same mechanical socket due to changes in some socket pin assignments.

The "FC" in FCLGA stands for "flip-chip" but that's how practically all BGA chips on a carrier substrate are made, so it is omitted most of the time due to being redundant.

texascedd

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016

texascedd

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016
Thank you for helping me.

okay 350/370 chipsets works with coffee lake which i did not know that name or info until now.

Which chip set numbers should i look for skylake and kaby?

I am narrowing it down and those two names pop up

I appreciate the help trust me.