[SOLVED] 2018 RM 650x handle 9900k and 3090FE?

magbarn

Reputable
Dec 9, 2020
Son scored a 3090FE from BB and his current system has the following:
9900K not overclocked, Z390 Aorus Pro wifi, 2x16gb 3200, 2x1TB 970 Evo NVME, no HDD's
Currently has a 1070Ti
If not, he has $200 in Amazon gift cards, any recommendations?
He's looking at be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 850W?

Solution
Thanks guys. Trying to plug it in right now, but his 1070ti GPU is currently being fed by a daisy chained cable which I heard are not good to use. If I use the 2nd GPU cable for the 3090, I'll have to disconnect the extra 4 pin connector to his motherboard-leaving the 8 pin in. Is this ok to do?

At this point i would get a new PSU. The 9900k will be more stable with the 8 +4 pins plugged in, and the 3090FE will boost as high as it can go as long as it stays cool and has good power delivery. A system on the edge of power limit is not a happy system.

magbarn

Reputable
Dec 9, 2020
Thanks guys. Trying to plug it in right now, but his 1070ti GPU is currently being fed by a daisy chained cable which I heard are not good to use. If I use the 2nd GPU cable for the 3090, I'll have to disconnect the extra 4 pin connector to his motherboard-leaving the 8 pin in. Is this ok to do?

magbarn

Reputable
Dec 9, 2020
I just woke up so im not on spot when it comes to thinking,but are you mixing pcie and cpu power cables?
The motherboard CPU power cables plug into the same connectors as the PCIE and I only have 3 to pick from.
So if I use 2 different connector for the GPU-previously he was using only 1, and the other 2 were being used by the motherboard CPU connectors-I'll only have one left for the motherboard CPU.
See the pic below. It's the 3 connectors on the upper right.
WjG3gDbANB7nWaccZAmE3A-970-80.jpg.webp

Reactions: Dj0gany

At this point i would get a new PSU. The 9900k will be more stable with the 8 +4 pins plugged in, and the 3090FE will boost as high as it can go as long as it stays cool and has good power delivery. A system on the edge of power limit is not a happy system.

Solution

magbarn

Reputable
Dec 9, 2020
Thanks for the advice. It’s working right now, but the fan on the 650 does spin up a bit while on Cyberpunk. I’m undervolting the 3090 FE just to be safe For now.
He just ordered the be quiet 850 platinum from amazon using his Christmas money hehe.
I noticed it has a weird multi rail arrangement. Hopefully it won’t cause any issues....

Reactions: Dj0gany
Thanks for the advice. It’s working right now, but the fan on the 650 does spin up a bit while on Cyberpunk. I’m undervolting the 3090 FE just to be safe For now.
He just ordered the be quiet 850 platinum from amazon using his Christmas money hehe.
I noticed it has a weird multi rail arrangement. Hopefully it won’t cause any issues....
Should be able to handle a 3090 like nothing.