Question 2019 Dell XPS 16 7590

Jul 5, 2019
So my 2012 MacBook Pro is finally giving out. Now I am looking for a new laptop to last me another 7 or 8 years. I am a computer science student in my first year. I want a laptop that will be able to do the school basics, coding, software development and some gaming. I am used to playing on a PS4 so 60 FPS on medium to high will be good for me. I want to play games like Apex, GTA, Doom, Anno 1800, etc... I understand this isn’t a gaming computer. I am not a gamer first but I would like to enjoy games once or twice a week for a few hours. To see if I enjoy it from The PS4. I was thinking about the 2019 Dell XPS 15 7590 with 4K Screen. I will be plugging into my HP Pavilion 32q 1440p monitor from time to time for more screen space for coding and school work. Would the GTX 1650 be able to handle the 1440p monitor for gaming too? It’s ok if it doesn’t was just wondering. Would this laptop be good for what I want to do?

Seven to eight years is an unrealistic expectation for a gaming laptop. If you want to play current AAA titles. The top desktop GPU from seven years ago barely ranks as a low end modern GPU. A low end GPU from that era is unusable for modern gaming.

Could you use the GTX 1650 for 1440p gaming? Not for some of the games you listed or detail you want. For example Anno 1800 gets 56FPS with that GPU @1280x720. 2560x1440 will be unplayable. The GTX 1650 is a low end GPU. You're going to want a laptop with a GTX 2060 or 2070 (preferably 2070) for 1440p gaming. Most likely replacing it in three years to still get good 60FPS with med/high settings at 1440p on whatever the current games are.

For everything else you listed. Pretty much any current laptop will work for college work. I'd advise building a gaming computer for gaming. Then you can upgrade the GPU later on. Rather than the whole computer.

Get a cheap and thin laptop with good battery life for college work. Keep your files in sync with OneDrive. So, you can switch between the laptop and desktop for college work. I say OneDrive since your school will probably provide an Office 365 account. You may as well use that.

Reactions: Swifi
Jul 5, 2019
Seven to eight years is an unrealistic expectation for a gaming laptop. If you want to play current AAA titles. The top desktop GPU from seven years ago barely ranks as a low end modern GPU. A low end GPU from that era is unusable for modern gaming.

Could you use the GTX 1650 for 1440p gaming? Not for some of the games you listed or detail you want. For example Anno 1800 gets 56FPS with that GPU @1280x720. 2560x1440 will be unplayable. The GTX 1650 is a low end GPU. You're going to want a laptop with a GTX 2060 or 2070 (preferably 2070) for 1440p gaming. Most likely replacing it in three years to still get good 60FPS with med/high settings at 1440p on whatever the current games are.

For everything else you listed. Pretty much any current laptop will work for college work. I'd advise building a gaming computer for gaming. Then you can upgrade the GPU later on. Rather than the whole computer.

Get a cheap and thin laptop with good battery life for college work. Keep your files in sync with OneDrive. So, you can switch between the laptop and desktop for college work. I say OneDrive since your school will probably provide an Office 365 account. You may as well use that.

I meant 7-8 for everything else but gaming. I understand games are more intense and I definitely thought about building a desktop but I’m not ready for the investment yet. It’s ok if the laptop doesn’t support the 1440 monitor for gaming. But at least for school work it would right? I mean my 2012 MacBook Pro does. Or did. You are right about OneDrive. I use that already. I was just looking for a computer to last me as long as the MacBook did for the school and eventually work.

I meant 7-8 for everything else but gaming. I understand games are more intense and I definitely thought about building a desktop but I’m not ready for the investment yet. It’s ok if the laptop doesn’t support the 1440 monitor for gaming. But at least for school work it would right? I mean my 2012 MacBook Pro does. Or did. You are right about OneDrive. I use that already. I was just looking for a computer to last me as long as the MacBook did for the school and eventually work.

For school work it's overkill. There's $600 ultrabooks on BHPhoto which are more than enough to last through college and I'm assuming graduate school. That Dell is far more powerful than them.

A 15" may be a bit unwieldy. Not all classrooms have a desk surface big enough for one. 13" is preferable. A 2-in-1 has advantages over a regular laptop. Mainly the ability to switch to tablet mode to take notes and draw diagrams with a stylus.

When it comes to course work. You may want to consider portability over power. You're going to be carrying it around and whipping it out all day. In many environments where a big laptop will be inconvenient.

Jul 5, 2019
For school work it's overkill. There's $600 ultrabooks on BHPhoto which are more than enough to last through college and I'm assuming graduate school. That Dell is far more powerful than them.

A 15" may be a bit unwieldy. Not all classrooms have a desk surface big enough for one. 13" is preferable. A 2-in-1 has advantages over a regular laptop. Mainly the ability to switch to tablet mode to take notes and draw diagrams with a stylus.

When it comes to course work. You may want to consider portability over power. You're going to be carrying it around and whipping it out all day. In many environments where a big laptop will be inconvenient.
Cool well thanks for the advice !