News 2020 GPU Sales Failed to Impress, Despite Record Demand

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Intel's doing well.
AMD appears to be in a grey area, of sorts.
Nvidia looks like a, 'yes, but actually no' scenario.

This chart is not accurate. Intel is doing very well because vast majority of its CPUs comes with integrated GPU.

Nvidia is actually having their best performance ever. They are having a record quarter. The only thing stopping them from doing even better is not making enough GPUs to sell to their AIB partners. They are also increasing their pricing due to demand.

AMD sales is very good but not as good as nvidia due to 2 reasons:
  1. Not enough GPUs to sell. Their stocks are even worse than nvidia.
  2. Not attractive to miners. Nvidia cards are way better in mining this time. 3060ti/3070 are just as fast but lower power. 3080/3090 are way faster.

AMD's 5700 was actually the best mining card prior to 3060ti/3070 but AMD decide to phase it out totally. The reference 5700 can be tweaked to provide around 52MH/s while keeping power at just 100W or even a little lower. 2 of these will produce over 100MH/s @ 200W......6800 series pales in comparison.

Jul 16, 2020
It's also misleading because a significant number of the "AMD GPUs" and "Intel GPUs" are never utilized as such. My Omen desktop came with a 9600k (not kf), and I upgraded to a 9900k (cheaper than the kf at the time), and the Intel Graphics 630 on those chips can't be utilized on my motherboard. However, for accounting purposes, that goes down as two "Intel GPU" sales.

and the Intel Graphics 630 on those chips can't be utilized on my motherboard.
Impossibruh, plug a monitor into the mobo and the igpu will be detected by bios/windows if it's enabled.
On win 8 you could make a virtual connection to enable the iGPU,
Apparently it's still there in windows 10 but it doesn't show up for me personally so I don't know.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/5p5qgz/try_to_connect_anyway_on_vga_option_missing/

MtGuSvN.png

Jul 16, 2020
Impossibruh, plug a monitor into the mobo and the igpu will be detected by bios/windows if it's enabled.
On win 8 you could make a virtual connection to enable the iGPU,
Apparently it's still there in windows 10 but it doesn't show up for me personally so I don't know.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/5p5qgz/try_to_connect_anyway_on_vga_option_missing/

MtGuSvN.png
There is no video output on the motherboard. This is pretty standard on gaming desktops.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There is no video output on the motherboard. This is pretty standard on gaming desktops.
That is not standard at all. That is HP being an anti-consumer dick.
Like, really, why was there a need to remove those?

Most buyers of prebuilt towers aren't buying an HP Omen, Alienware, Lenovo Legion, or whatever other gaming moniker, due to cost.
They're going a step below that, or going to more affordable offerings, like CyberPowerPC or Ibuypower, for example. Those machines still have motherboard video outputs.

Laptop sales are up. The iGPUs in those are used to save power when the discreet gpu isn't in use - or if one isn't present at all; not everyone needs a dGPU.
Most do not go about disabling the iGPU in order to utilize more of the dGPU either.

Business, education, general purpose... those sales stomp gaming in total volume sold. Both AMD and Intel are doing well here - Intel even more so, for obvious reasons.

@escksu
Hey, if you've got some charts/numbers to show in regards to Nvidia's position, I'll gladly eat that up...

Last edited:
It's also misleading because a significant number of the "AMD GPUs" and "Intel GPUs" are never utilized as such. My Omen desktop came with a 9600k (not kf), and I upgraded to a 9900k (cheaper than the kf at the time), and the Intel Graphics 630 on those chips can't be utilized on my motherboard. However, for accounting purposes, that goes down as two "Intel GPU" sales.
This is why there are the additional charts show AIB sales. Intel doesn't compete there (yet, probably not really going to compete much with Xe Graphics either -- at least with Gen1 Xe), so all sales of dedicated cards are strictly AMD vs. Nvidia.