Question 2020 Macbook Pro 13-inch vs Dell XPS 13 9300

Jun 7, 2020
Hi All! First post and hoping you can help me buy a new laptop.

Looking to replace my ancient laptop. I'm a photographer who dabbles in a bit of video work as well. I also do some live streaming sessions from various locations.

I'm hoping the Macbook Pro 13-inch (i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD) or the XPS 13 ( i7-1065G7, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD) will be enough. I've been trying to work out the differences but am I correct in the only main difference is that the MBP has a higher TDP ? Does it make a difference? If yes, when does it make a difference?

Thanks for your help guys!

USAFRet

Titan
There's a LOT more difference than just "TDP". And that is mostly irrelevant.

First off, MacOS vs Windows. Which ecosystem are you more familiar with? Will you need to buy all new software? Change your whole workflow?

Hardware - Some feel Macs are built a bit more solidly that windows systems. Or the touchpad feels 'better'.

Which specific i7 is in the Mac?

For me, a 13" would be unusable for photo/video work. Too small.

Jun 7, 2020
There's a LOT more difference than just "TDP". And that is mostly irrelevant.

First off, MacOS vs Windows. Which ecosystem are you more familiar with? Will you need to buy all new software? Change your whole workflow?

Hardware - Some feel Macs are built a bit more solidly that windows systems. Or the touchpad feels 'better'.

Which specific i7 is in the Mac?

For me, a 13" would be unusable for photo/video work. Too small.
Thanks for the quick response!

MacOS/Windows = I'm currently using both so I switch back and forth without any issues. Most of the software I use for my work runs on both operating systems.

From what I've found so far, the i7 in the MBP is a custom version of the i7-1065G7 running at 28W (Edit: Some sites report that it's using a 28W i7-1068NG7). This is where the main difference seems to be and so I'm trying to work out which will be better for Photoshop and Premiere.

Yeah, the 13" screen is small but it makes a world of difference when you have to carry all your gear around.

Last edited:
Hi All! First post and hoping you can help me buy a new laptop.

Looking to replace my ancient laptop. I'm a photographer who dabbles in a bit of video work as well. I also do some live streaming sessions from various locations.

I'm hoping the Macbook Pro 13-inch (i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD) or the XPS 13 ( i7-1065G7, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD) will be enough. I've been trying to work out the differences but am I correct in the only main difference is that the MBP has a higher TDP ? Does it make a difference? If yes, when does it make a difference?

Thanks for your help guys!
Well you can get final cut on the mac which will perform better than anything else.

Reactions: TheGoodThief