[SOLVED] 2020 new GPU or upgrade now

huseyin1990

Prominent
Feb 13, 2018
Do you guys think it is worth upgrading my 1060 6GB to a 2060 8GB?

I am currently getting FPS around 70-120 on Apex Legends as it is the main game I play, but would like to buy Red Dead Redemption 2 as well.

Do you think I should wait until next year?

I currently have a i5 8400 to go with it.

Solution
If you are happy with your current performance on Apex, then wait and see how you do with the new game.

You might try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.
Do you guys think it is worth upgrading my 1060 6GB to a 2060 8GB?

I am currently getting FPS around 70-120 on Apex Legends as it is the main game I play, but would like to buy Red Dead Redemption 2 as well.

Do you think I should wait until next year?

I currently have a i5 8400 to go with it.
Just wait. The CPU would become your bottleneck knowing Rockstar games and in any case you should wait for the release to see how it runs. You might get a 2060 now and realise the 1060 gets you want you want or it might be a bad port and you can't hit 60 with a 2060. Don't see it happening but you can always buy hardware later. takes what a day to get it delivered and a couple of hours to uninstall drivers, swap card and reinstall drivers?

Reactions: huseyin1990
If you are happy with your current performance on Apex, then wait and see how you do with the new game.

You might try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Reactions: huseyin1990
Solution