[SOLVED] 2060 Super FE Oveclocking help.

Boris12341

Prominent
May 24, 2020
Ok so I have been looking into overclocking my 2060super founders edition. It is paired with a 3700x. I wanted to know how much to do and what are the downsides. I am a newbie when it comes to OCing. Thanks.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Focus on cooling first. All of Nvidia's cards since the 10 series are temperature sensitive. The cooler it runs, the higher clocks the card can sustain - bar power limits.
Most people using these cards will be held back by thermals before power limits.

Like the person here found out, they got better performance with a lower power setting; cooling wasn't sufficient with a maxed out power slider.

Boris12341

Prominent
May 24, 2020
Focus on cooling first. All of Nvidia's cards since the 10 series are temperature sensitive. The cooler it runs, the higher clocks the card can sustain - bar power limits.
Most people using these cards will be held back by thermals before power limits.

Like the person here found out, they got better performance with a lower power setting; cooling wasn't sufficient with a maxed out power slider.
Ok thanks. But what are the downsides? And is it worth it for gaming , (warzone, cold war, Battlefield)?

Boris12341

Prominent
May 24, 2020

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
As long as you are Careful when doing/testing the OC (READ that guide) it should be fine.
I have used Afterburner to set OC profiles for my last 3 Video Cards (GTX 1060, GTX 1660 Ti and now my RTX 2060 Super).
They all worked very well and I have never had any issues with them.
I leave the default profile running until I am going to play a game.
Then I enable the OC profile (in Afterburner) and reset it to default it once I am done gaming.
There is no reason to leave it OC'd 24/7.

And yes technically it voids the warranty.
BUT if my GPU ever failed during the warranty period, I would still RMA it.
And I am 99.9% sure they would replace it.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Ok so I have been looking into overclocking my 2060super founders edition. It is paired with a 3700x. I wanted to know how much to do and what are the downsides. I am a newbie when it comes to OCing. Thanks.
I would leave it alone if you got to come here and ask.
If you can get 10% more FPS and you currently have 80 FPS you now get 88 FPS is that really a improvement that would make a in game difference?

Boris12341

Prominent
May 24, 2020
I would leave it alone if you got to come here and ask.
If you can get 10% more FPS and you currently have 80 FPS you now get 88 FPS is that really a improvement that would make a in game difference?
To me, it is an improvement in Warzone. I play at 1440p, and it is difficult to achieve 144fps with high to medium settings. The gain might be worth it. And the reason that i ask is because i am a newbie to this and I want other opinions.

Boris12341

Prominent
May 24, 2020
As long as you are Careful when doing/testing the OC (READ that guide) it should be fine.
I have used Afterburner to set OC profiles for my last 3 Video Cards (GTX 1060, GTX 1660 Ti and now my RTX 2060 Super).
They all worked very well and I have never had any issues with them.
I leave the default profile running until I am going to play a game.
Then I enable the OC profile (in Afterburner) and reset it to default it once I am done gaming.
There is no reason to leave it OC'd 24/7.

And yes technically it voids the warranty.
BUT if my GPU ever failed during the warranty period, I would still RMA it.
And I am 99.9% sure they would replace it.
Ok thanks alot. Are your OC settings the same as the guide you sent?

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Ok thanks alot. Are your OC settings the same as the guide you sent?
No, I have a different card than they used.
Mine is an MSI RTX 2060 Super Armor OC so it is already slightly OC'd from the factory.
I was not able to increase my core or Memory sliders as much as they did.
BUT since mine is already OC'd, I actually have higher Core and Memory clocks than they could get.
I could show you my Settings BUT they would be irrelevant for you unless you have my EXACT same GPU model, Exact same MB, Exact same PSU, Exact same RAM, etc.

You just need to follow that guide and take it step by step.
Do NOT just use the settings they ended up with because yours will almost certainly be different.

EDIT:
Here is a guide to user Afterburner's Built in OC Scanner:
MSI Global
Which is a quick and easy way to see how far you can OC your GPU.

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
To me, it is an improvement in Warzone. I play at 1440p, and it is difficult to achieve 144fps with high to medium settings. The gain might be worth it. And the reason that i ask is because i am a newbie to this and I want other opinions.
The overclocking is not linearly a 10% overclock on the card will not net you 10% FPS.

Don't join the club that went to far and now get a black screen instead of booting.

Your free to do as you wish just saying most of the time it's not worth it.

The FE Edition has poor cooling almost always overlocking requires more voltage to get anything that would actually make a difference at all when you hit the thermal limit you gain nothing else.

EDIT in my opinion if your not getting the performance you need then sell your card and buy a better one.
You will get different opinions on this so it's still your choice.
Your probably having large FPS dips anyhow.
I overclock processors not video cards because the FPS gains are usually very little on cards.

Last edited:

Boris12341

Prominent
May 24, 2020
W
No, I have a different card than they used.
Mine is an MSI RTX 2060 Super Armor OC so it is already slightly OC'd from the factory.
I was not able to increase my core or Memory sliders as much as they did.
BUT since mine is already OC'd, I actually have higher Core and Memory clocks than they could get.
I could show you my Settings BUT they would be irrelevant for you unless you have my EXACT same GPU model, Exact same MB, Exact same PSU, Exact same RAM, etc.

You just need to follow that guide and take it step by step.
Do NOT just use the settings they ended up with because yours will almost certainly be different.
I am going to watch a JayzTwoCentz VID that came out today on GPU OC and specs, but will i need a benchmark app IF i do it?