[SOLVED] 2060 Super gpu artifacts and turning off

Sep 4, 2019
Hey there,
I recently purchased a new nvidia 2060 super 8gb from bestbuy and ran it perfectly fine for about 10 days. Everything worked well, no overheating (stayed around 68c while gaming on max settings.) when I tried booting up OBS for the first time, i got artifacts and the screens shut down and didn't come back. after a restart it worked fine for an hour, then the same again. I've had the system artifact and shut my screens down about 10 times. I tried reseating the card on the motherboard but to no avail. the artifacts can appear when the gpu is at like 39c and sitting idle.
Some possible things I think could be happening:
  • 500 watt power supply isn't enough?
  • my PSU only has an avaliable 6 pin connector, so i used a 6 pin female to 8pin male adapter on my old 1060 and it worked fine with no issues
  • incapatable motherboard? if so how come it worked all this time?
  • psu is dying? I highly doubt it though because I'm doing all this on my oldest 960 gpu.

setup:
i7 6700k
gigabyte GZ z170 HD3P motherboard
nvidia 2060 super 8gb
500w psu

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Could be - your power supply helped this to happen. And certainly it's not recommended to use 6pin to 8pin pcie adapter.
But assume this is a faulty card and return it.

Note - RTX 2060 super is 175W card and requires 550w psu.

dratyan

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012
Just want to say that while people are jumping in the RMA bandwagon, I got some artifacts very similar to yours, as well as shutdowns/BSODs, and my 2060 worked absolutely fine in another PC. I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with my setup though.

Latios

Reputable
Oct 12, 2016
500w should be enough, but i read something somwhere that a 8 pin power plug supplies twice the power as a 6 pin so adapters dont work properly...

try using a power supply that has a proper 6+2 power plug for that card