[SOLVED] 2060 Super (MSI Ventus) and PSU Gamemax GP-500b

Oct 5, 2020
Hello. I have a question about 2060 Super (MSI Ventus) and PSU Gamemax GP-500b
Would this build work correctly?
Nvidia site says I need at least 550W PSU
While GPUCHECK says I need at least 450W.
Where is the truth? Is there anyone with 500W PSU (80+ Bronze) and 2060 super installed

Solution
The rest of the build is important. The CPU uses power too and it would be useful to know what you have in there (your signature lists a 3080, so presumably not that one).

A 500W would typically be fine with a 2060 Super. However, that assumes a good 500W, which you don't actually have. The Gamemax GP 500 is a cheaply built, low-end, group-regulated PSU that is only actually around a 400W PSU in real-world terms. This would be an inappropriate PSU to use with a 2060 Super.

DSzymborski

Titan
The rest of the build is important. The CPU uses power too and it would be useful to know what you have in there (your signature lists a 3080, so presumably not that one).

A 500W would typically be fine with a 2060 Super. However, that assumes a good 500W, which you don't actually have. The Gamemax GP 500 is a cheaply built, low-end, group-regulated PSU that is only actually around a 400W PSU in real-world terms. This would be an inappropriate PSU to use with a 2060 Super.

Reactions: Eric Baker
Solution
Oct 5, 2020

Thank You, but to buy so? Corsair is very expensive, but they are one of the best...
Maybe smth low-end but 700w ?

DSzymborski

Titan
Thank You, but to buy so? Corsair is very expensive, but they are one of the best...
Maybe smth low-end but 700w ?

We house a curated power supply tier list here.

With something the price of a 2060 Super, nothing should be purchased below Tier B.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I also STRONGLY recommend clicking the first link in my sig, and reading that thoroughly.

Do NOT cut corners on the PSU, it's a safety device. If you can afford a 2060 Super, you can afford what a GOOD PSU costs. If you feel like you cannot afford to spend the money needed for a PSU, then what you really need to tell yourself is that you WILL buy a good PSU, but cannot afford to get the 2060 Super.