Question 2060 vs vega 56/64 with a freesync monitor

Apr 22, 2019
Basically I'm pretty new to the PC building world, and I am planning on building my first PC, had everything picked out only to just realise my monitor that I have is freesync. I was planning on going for the RTX 2060, with ryzen 5 2600x CPU, X470 mobo, 16 GB 3200mhz ram, which I thought was a pretty balanced build.

Now my main question is do I ditch the 2060 for a Vega 56 or 64? If it was a straight up choice between them, I would go for the 2060 in a heartbeat, but would the freesync with a vega 56/64 be better than the 2060 on a freesync monitor (I know it uses Gsync so I hope you understand what I'm trying to get across, but can't find the right words).

My biggest concern is the noise of the vega's, and for sub context I have no immediate plans on overclocking.

Many thanks.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
RTX 2060 is about the level of the Vega 64 for less money less power, heat and noise.

What's your monitor and does it have Displayport? If it does there's a good chance you can use Freesync, more specifically Async which is a part of Displayport Arch where Nvidia has made it possible to run Gsync on.

Apr 22, 2019
RTX 2060 is about the level of the Vega 64 for less money less power, heat and noise.

That's what I was thinking, I have put off building a PC because I was never sure what GPU I wanted as I thought, if I spend a little more I can get a better one, so ended up working my way to thinking I needed a 2080ti, then found the 2060 is probably the best value for money GPU you can buy that offers great functionality. Only then to realise my monitor I bought a few months ago is freesync, very annoying, so if there is a way to keep the 2060, without much loss, it would be great.

Yes it has a display port, it's an ASUS VP28UQG.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
On Asus's spec sheet says Freesync range of 40~60Hz. So with Gsync as well, frame rates need to inbetween for best performance. At 4k, that may be difficult for 2060 to do consistently depending on game and graphic settings of course.

This guy has it working with Gsync.

Reactions: RobCrezz