Question 2070 Fans Running Abnormally Hot

Jun 1, 2020
Hi, so I have a bit of a story I need to type out for context

So I built my PC in April last year. Things worked perfectly until about May this year.
My card, an MSI Ventus RTX 2070 8GB, began acting erratic. MASSIVE crashes. Black screens and blue screens where the fans would instantly go to max. At first the crashes were only when I played a game, then it would just shut off entirely even when just watching YouTube. It would take upwards to 20 restarts before finally getting a picture. So I RMA'd it. MSI did something. And I got it back in two weeks.

I use it again for about two days. Black screens. Blank blue screens. Blue Windows screens. PINK and RED screens.. Weird artifacting that could only be described as looking like a corrupted 2600 game. And all of it way more frequent than the last time. The problems just got even worse. So, back to MSI. They did something and I got it back in two weeks which is where we are now.

I haven't gotten any hard crashes. Yet.
The games I've played run, but then I heard the fans...over the audio of my headset.
They were running so ungodly high that I heard faint whistling like a teapot just about to boil. And it heated the side panel of the case horribly. Of the main games I've been playing, only two really didn't give me any issues, those being Doom Eternal and Gunfire Reborn.
Phantasy Star Online 2, Spark the Electric Jester 2, and ESPECIALLY Risk of Rain 2 ramp the vents up. In the task manager, the 3D graph of the GPU tab hits 80% to 100 for these games. Spark 2, it just instantly goes to 100% and stays there. It also used all of the memory. And certain things in a level wouldn't load right.

This is new and did not happen before the last two RMA's. It always ran silent under any load outside of maybe a small uptick when a game launched before calming down immediately.
I called MSI again and they said I need to RMA for a third time. But I feel like they might have done something that could be readjusted manually in software. And that's my question to you all.

Is there something I can do myself to fix it? I don't feel like RMAing this card a third time. That is so stupid and you would think at THAT point they'd either have found a fix or just replaced the card.

My relevant specs besides the card:
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
AMD B450-A Pro
Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
What PSU are you using? You might want to try setting the fan curve through MSI Afterburner manually, or set it to a flat speed. If the card stops working when this is done, there's probably something wrong with the thermal pads or internals of the card that is causing it to overheat despite having sufficient cooling.

Reactions: LeighPing
Jun 1, 2020
What PSU are you using? You might want to try setting the fan curve through MSI Afterburner manually, or set it to a flat speed. If the card stops working when this is done, there's probably something wrong with the thermal pads or internals of the card that is causing it to overheat despite having sufficient cooling.

Knew I forgot something. I'm using an EVGA 600BQ.

Jun 1, 2020
Sounds to me like the GPU is seriously borked, you can make sure by testing another gpu in your system and see if the problem persists

If it does not persist and your 2070 is the culprit:
Personally i demand a new 2070 or i would raise hell :p

Can't run that sort of test unfortunately. Would require me to buy a new card. 2070 is the only one I've got.