Question 2070 for $500, but bottleneck

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I can pick up a 2070 for $500. A friend won the Newegg lottery and got a 3070.

I am not going to do it to mine or make a profit by selling it.

But the 2070 would bottleneck my best computer, an overclocked i7-4770K, and I am not ready to rebuild.

But I like spending 500 on a 2070 instead of 300 on an RX 580 4 GB or something. The 2070 seems like good value and future proofing.

How bad would the bottleneck be? My 2nd best computer, arguably, is based off of an i5-6600k.

Maybe I should just wait until I actually upgrade to a better computer. But I don't need to now with all the old games I play.

Thanks

DSzymborski

Titan
The bottleneck shouldn't be severe. Nor is it a big deal anyway; it doesn't mean you'll get worse performance, simply that you can't unlock all the performance possible.

That being said, whether this is a good idea comes down to how important this is to you. If upgrading from a 4890, a very old GPU, is something you're not sure of, then it follows that it may make more sense to just wait until you're building a new PC with the hope that by then, the GPU issues will be better resolved and you can get something better for $500.

But if you really want to game, it's far from highway robbery.

Reactions: Krotow
"But the 2070 would bottleneck my best computer, an overclocked i7-4770K, and I am not ready to rebuild. "

mmm perhaps the other way around. And I would not use bottleneck, the Core i7 4770K may limit the performance of the RTX 2070 in some scenarios, but nothing that bad, just as DSzymborski wrote.

In fact depending on your gaming resolution, for example 1440p or higher, the RTX 2070 will have to work harder and so it will balance the "limit" impose by the older CPU.

I do not know how bad GPU prices are where you live, but I feel $500 for a used RTX 2070 is a little bit expensive. Then again I guess is up to each one and their wish/need to play to decide on prices.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I have a Vega 56 8GB and am happy with it, but the next video card I have is an RX 570 4GB, and then HD 7870s. I have friends and family over to game, so one upgrade will help other computers.

Is $500 overpriced?

I have a Vega 56 8GB and am happy with it, but the next video card I have is an RX 570 4GB, and then HD 7870s. I have friends and family over to game, so one upgrade will help other computers.

Is $500 overpriced?

As I wrote, perhaps not too much in the current situation. A few years ago you would pay $499 for a brand new RTX 2070 Super.

I guess is up to to decide if you wana pay it or not.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I passed on the 2070 largely because it was too long for my case, and I am happy with my Vega 56. However, a close friend offered to straight up swap my Vega 56 8GB for a 1080 ti 11GB. He is using it for mining and doesn't think he will lose much using the Vega 56 instead. He doesn't really care, either way. This is a no brainer, right? Straight up upgrade, regardless of any bottleneck.

I am still running the i7-4770K @ 4.4Ghz on a 1440p Acer monitor.

I am an AMD fan, but ...

I passed on the 2070 largely because it was too long for my case, and I am happy with my Vega 56. However, a close friend offered to straight up swap my Vega 56 8GB for a 1080 ti 11GB. He is using it for mining and doesn't think he will lose much using the Vega 56 instead. He doesn't really care, either way. This is a no brainer, right? Straight up upgrade, regardless of any bottleneck.

I am still running the i7-4770K @ 4.4Ghz on a 1440p Acer monitor.

I am an AMD fan, but ...

Pretty sure the 1080ti performs slightly better than your original 2070 option, so yes I'd go for it if it'll fit in your case. What I don't understand is your friend will lose mining and gaming performance but is still happy to do a straight swap? Seems a bit odd.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
He is not gaming on that rig at all, and with whatever setup he is using, he thinks the loss will be negligible. I think he is just a cool, life-long friend. Maybe like a Christmas present because he can while losing very little. Maybe it is just to torture me because I am such an ATI Fan boy. Regardless, I hope this card fits.

He is not gaming on that rig at all, and with whatever setup he is using, he thinks the loss will be negligible. I think he is just a cool, life-long friend. Maybe like a Christmas present because he can while losing very little. Maybe it is just to torture me because I am such an ATI Fan boy. Regardless, I hope this card fits.
well the HBM Bandwith on the Vega 56 is pretty good for mining, could be one of the reasons, probably.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
It fit and worked fine. I can show 3DMark benchmark differences if anyone cares.

But he couldn't get the Vega 56 to be stable on his mining rig, so we swapped back. I might get it back down the road, though. Thanks everyone.

TRENDING THREADS