Question 2070 Selection Guidance

Jun 2, 2019
I am putting together a new build, and have run into a nasty case of choice fatigue with the graphics card. I have happily put an i9-9900k on a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra, picked out all the accoutrements, and found out there are about a million graphics cards to select from at the moment.

I'm looking to spend in the ballpark of $500 - $600, which would leave me squarely in the realm of an Nvidia 2070. I'm happy with that, as I can always upgrade the card again in a few years if needed. It seems there's been a load of cards out more recently, and with all of the different options I've hit an analytical wall. My brain is tired, heh. Is the Gigabyte Aorus Extreme worth the $560 or so, or is there a better option? I'm going air-cooled, and I don't care about the RGB stuff. I'm primarily concerned with performance and reliability. Any suggestions welcome, I've obviously been out of the loop for a couple of years and picking it all back up has been fun, but a bit of work too.

Edit: if it's worth it to go ahead and nab a 2080, I'd love the advice/feedback for that as well.

Thanks!

Last edited:
What's your BUDGET for the card, 600 USD max ? Also, which Monitor do you have ? What's the screen resolution, and the refresh rate/hz ? Because Screen RES plays an important role when selecting any graphics card. It wouldn't be wise to use an RTX 2080 Ti for a 1080p setup.

Another better option would be an ASUS STRIX model, in my opinion. Do you prefer any specific GPU brand ?

You already have a powerful CPU, so you need buy any of the high-end flagship RTX GPUs, if you can afford one. The RTX 2070 isn't a bad choice, but if you are not much interested in RAY TRACING, then buy a non-RTX GPU, from the previous GEN, the GTX 1080 TI.

Btw, do we really have a "million graphics cards to select from" ? :):unsure: Just kidding...

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019
What's your BUDGET for the card, 600 USD max ? Also, which Monitor do you have ? What's the screen resolution, and the refresh rate/hz ? Because Screen RES plays an important role when selecting any graphics card. It wouldn't be wise to use an RTX 2080 Ti for a 1080p setup.

Another better option would be an ASUS STRIX model, in my opinion. Do you prefer any specific GPU brand ?

You already have a powerful CPU, so you need buy any of the high-end flagship RTX GPUs, if you can afford one. The RTX 2070 isn't a bad choice, but if you are not much interested in RAY TRACING, then buy a non-RTX GPU, from the previous GEN, the GTX 1080 TI.

Budget is somewhat flexible, and I can afford the 2080, but there's little point in tossing an extra $250 - $300 if performance gains are minimal. I'd like to see some value out of that much investment. I was considering the 2070 so strongly because at this point it seems they are priced right for the performance, and the 2080 seems like the price is above the specs you're paying for. Monitor is a few years old, and will be replaced with a new one (which I choose will be based on the card I install). I've always paired my screens with my cards.

I don't have any particular brand I'm loyal to, as long as it's running the Nvidia chipset. I've had good luck in the past with ASUS, Nvidia's own card, and EVGA. Definitely been reading oodles of reviews and the Aorus Extreme seems to do very well on the benchmarks, but not exceptionally well above other similar cards. Ray tracing is interesting, but as yet it would be future-proofing. I do love me some good graphics when gaming, so I'm looking forward to what the devs can do with it.

I second that. It would be wise to wait for some more time, because NVIDIA is going to release new "refresh" RTX models, and as per rumors, these are also going to sell cheaper than their previous RTX counterparts. there is no point in paying extra 100 USD for the same GPU model.

Just wait...

TRENDING THREADS