[SOLVED] 2070 Super a decent buy this coming Spring?

ForestDingo

Honorable
Aug 13, 2014
I'll be building a new PC soon around April-May or so, and I'm wondering if that's a good time to spend on a graphics card (the 2070 super)?

Looking to make a high-end computer, but from what I've seen there's not much difference between the 2070 super vs the 2080 super to warrant another 200 dollars.

Solution
For upgrading down the line, how is AMD compared to Nvidia for GPU's though? All tippy toppy stuff is coming from Nvida it seems.
For upgrading graphics, the power supply is the limiter.
A very strong graphics card can probably run on 650w, but 750w might be better.
Here is a chart for various graphics cards:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

For the most part, you get fair value at every price point between amd and nvidia.
The exception will come in the top flagship card for which you should expect to pay a price premium.
Past that there is a difference in the driver system. Some prefer amd, and some prefer nvidia.
Today, they are comparable.
There is about a 10-20% difference depending on game and resolution. What resolution are you going to game at? At 1080p there is probably little point going for the 2080 Super but at 1440p it’s probably worth it and if 4K then definitely you want as much gpu power as budget will allow.

It’s normal to get diminishing returns as you go up the gpu scale. Spending 50% more won’t return 50% better performance.

jitteRs

Prominent
Nov 25, 2019
I'll be building a new PC soon around April-May or so, and I'm wondering if that's a good time to spend on a graphics card (the 2070 super)?

Looking to make a high-end computer, but from what I've seen there's not much difference between the 2070 super vs the 2080 super to warrant another 200 dollars.
I would say the 2070 super will really give your bang for your buck while the 2080 super you might get a few extra frames but it won't be drastic.

Prices and products change, and usually for the better.
Wait until you are ready to buy the rest of the parts.
I suppose a case and psu might be ok to buy now.
As to which gpu, it depends on the games you will play.
For fast action games, buy the strongest gpu you feel you can afford.

For most others, one role of thumb is to budget about 2x the cost of your processor for the graphics card.

Pretty sure there are already 3080 rumors going. But as always expect 10-20% boost over last gen. Anyone claiming 50% performance increase is statistically wrong. The best thing about new cards is that they displace old cards(most of the time). Since AMD is competing this year I expect nVidia to release something affordable (by nV standards) which should help push prices down.

As has been said the longer you can wait to buy your GPU and CPU the more likely you are to find a deal or see movement in prices.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
For upgrading down the line, how is AMD compared to Nvidia for GPU's though? All tippy toppy stuff is coming from Nvida it seems.

I don't understand how this is in the slightest bit relevant? If an Nvidia card and an AMD card perform around the same, but the Nvidia card costs more, you're willing to pay that extra because Nvidia has the highest performing cards in their top tier, even though you are not actually buying those cards?

Why would that matter? How does what might or might not come down the line make a difference for which card you choose today?

For upgrading graphics, the power supply is the limiter.
A very strong graphics card can probably run on 650w, but 750w might be better.
Here is a chart for various graphics cards:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

For the most part, you get fair value at every price point between amd and nvidia.
The exception will come in the top flagship card for which you should expect to pay a price premium.
Past that there is a difference in the driver system. Some prefer amd, and some prefer nvidia.
Today, they are comparable.

Solution