Question 2070 Super blowing my power supply?

Oct 7, 2016
I have a PC issue that I would like some feedback on. Alright it started with issues with this prebuilt PC Computer #1. After about a year, consistently every month a power supply unit would pop. Loud bang, no real load on the system (just watching youtube videos), would power on with a new power supply but then pop again in roughly a month. Eventually I got computer #2.

Computer #1 was out of commission until I bought another power supply unit, probably about the 3rd one in 4 months. It seemed to run just fine. Then I switched the video cards between computer #1 and computer #2. (I also upgraded the RAM in both computers I don’t think it has anything to do with what is going on just making sure to get everything down).

Now, Computer #1 runs fine with Computer #2’s video card…. But computer #2’s power supply unit blew with the same popping sound today. I am going to assume that this is a problem with the 2070 Super. Can anyone offer any advice in how to go about making sure that it is not something else, like a bad surge protector or a peripheral? Has anyone ever heard of a faulty 2070 Super doing something like this before? Thanks in advance.

Computer #1: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VFFCQ6L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Computer #2: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09SNZ3BB3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
What power supplies are you buying? If they are terrible ones that often come in pre-builts I am not surprised. You should invest in a quality 650W gold unit from a reputable brand like Seasonic, Corsair, or EVGA.

I would check your power outlets as well. Are the computers on different circuits? Do they share with any large appliances like window air conditioners, microwaves, etc?

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
I didn't see anything in your specs about the power supply. A loud popping sound is frequently associated with power supply capacitors. Here is a link to methods for measuring power. I've seen others on this forum, but can't recall what they were.

Reactions: Why_Me