[SOLVED] 2070 Super brand

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Friend is building a system for video editing (Premiere Pro, not too much 4K) and some gaming. It seems from the testing on various sites the 5700 XT is better for gaming while the 2070 Super is better for PP.

First question: is what I stated above valid? If not, what did I miss?

Second question: which specific board should he pursue?
The system is composed of the following:
CPU: 3900X
RAM: 32GB
MB: Either Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite or Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Storage: two (2) NVMe PCIe 3.0 SSDs plus other stuff

Thanks......

Solution
Oh. I thought you were specifically asking for EVGA. Anyways, then ask him to get either ASUS or a Gigabyte GPU. Even MSI is good, but I usually recommend and prefer using ASUS ROG STRIX GPUs. Great build quality as well.

BTW, I was talking bout the cooling system on the GPU, the type of cooler the manufacturer has used to cool the PCB. We have single, double and triple-fan cooling solutions on most of the GPU models, apart from water blocks..

There are also "reference" models, having a blower-style of cooler, but these are not usually recommend. They tend to run hot, and could get noisy when the GPU is under full load.

That Fractal Design Define R6 is an ATX cabinet though.

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks for the replies...

He is using a really wide screen; I think 144Hz for both editing and gaming...probably 1440p. The PSU he is using is a Seasonic Focus Plus 750W Gold.

Yes, I did see the Puget systems article. Could you please explain why he would not notice a difference?

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks for the reply.
He is not necessarily only looking for EVGA boards...if there are other manufacturers that make good product......

As far as cooling, he will be using a Fractal Design Define R6 case....which I understand is a very good model.

Oh. I thought you were specifically asking for EVGA. Anyways, then ask him to get either ASUS or a Gigabyte GPU. Even MSI is good, but I usually recommend and prefer using ASUS ROG STRIX GPUs. Great build quality as well.

BTW, I was talking bout the cooling system on the GPU, the type of cooler the manufacturer has used to cool the PCB. We have single, double and triple-fan cooling solutions on most of the GPU models, apart from water blocks..

There are also "reference" models, having a blower-style of cooler, but these are not usually recommend. They tend to run hot, and could get noisy when the GPU is under full load.

That Fractal Design Define R6 is an ATX cabinet though.

Solution

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
So in reading the Puget review again, it seems that the 2060 Super is actually a better value than the 2070 Super.....really?

Also for gaming only would the best choice be the 5700 xt?

Last edited: