[SOLVED] 2070 super buzzing coil whine

Aug 15, 2019
Hello,
I recently bought a ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super Overclocked EVO Dual-Fan Edition and it sadly have some coil whine, it is not the loud screaming type but when the room is silent I can hear some kind of buzzing varying from higher to lower pitch depending on where I look in my game, my tower is about 3 feet or something from me and it's a little audible (again when the room is silent) other wise i can only really hear it faintly from time to time, if I focus on it. I also noticed in my new case before I upgrade from my 1060 6gb that it has a bit of the same kind of noises but a bit higher pitch

Could it be my thermal take 850w bronze+ smart pro rgb that is too low of a psu quality ? I don't feel like going through the hassle of RMA since i'm very happy with it and if I return it the next one could legit be worse from what I understand, is it common for high end gpu to make some buzzing noise ? should I try anything ?

I am planning on upgrading this PSU to a seasonic 750w prime titanium or a seasonic platinum could it help ?

Please help. I know it's not really harmful but I'm kind of an OCD person and it leave me with an uneasy feeling.

If there is nothing I can really do, will I eventually get used to it ?

Last edited:
Solution
Upgrading the PSU could definitely help, especially if the noise is coming from the PSU and not the graphics card. Your PSU does not use an LLC resonance topology like most high end power supplies these days, so coil whine and transformer buzzing are common and almost to be expected when used with high draw cards like yours.

It could certainly be the card itself though, but your PSU is very low quality by comparison to these other units you've mentioned, and in general. It's not a suitable companion for your high end graphics card by any stretch of the imagination. I'd look at swapping that out for a better model FIRST, and then determine if anything further is necessary after you've done that.
Upgrading the PSU could definitely help, especially if the noise is coming from the PSU and not the graphics card. Your PSU does not use an LLC resonance topology like most high end power supplies these days, so coil whine and transformer buzzing are common and almost to be expected when used with high draw cards like yours.

It could certainly be the card itself though, but your PSU is very low quality by comparison to these other units you've mentioned, and in general. It's not a suitable companion for your high end graphics card by any stretch of the imagination. I'd look at swapping that out for a better model FIRST, and then determine if anything further is necessary after you've done that.

Solution
Aug 15, 2019
Ok thank you, I will do that then and upgrade my Power supply in the next 2 weeks, is there any danger it could cause the gpu to be damaged or to have permanent whine because I used a low quality psu for 2 weeks ?