[SOLVED] 2070 super + cpu vs 2080 super

Chimi02

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2015
Hi! I've decided to upgrade my PC on black friday or whenever a big sale comes up and I need some help making a decision what I should put my money towards.

So this is my current build:
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 Dual OC
CPU: Intel Core i7 - 4790K
RAM: HyperX Fury DDR3 16GB overclocked to 18xx mhz (4x4)
Motherboard: Gigabyte z97x gaming 3
PSU: Corsair CX750M (750w)

So I was either thinking of getting a new cpu/motherboard/ram + gpu or just a new gpu.

If I'm just getting a new gpu it would be a 2080 super which would cost me 900 USD and getting a cpu later or 2080 ti for 1500 USD and not buying a new cpu.

Or I could get a ryzen 3700x for 385 USD + motherboard for 150 USD + 16 gbram 3200mhz for 100 usd + 2070 super for 640 USD (1275 total).

I know the first option would bottleneck the system but atleast I would get the most performance/dollar?

Solution
Is it because they're based on zen 3, just like the 3000 series?

And what about DDR5? DDR4 has about 6 years on it's back... If I would get a new cpu, motherboard and ram, I'd have to get a new motherboard if I'd like to buy DDR5.
View: https://imgur.com/a/6Xu5WUI

(rumored specs)

DDR5 RAM support is tied to the CPU, because the memory controller is integrated in the CPU, and not the motherboard, like they once were.
So if you want to buy DDR5 RAM, you'll have to buy both a CPU with native DDR5 support and a motherboard with support for that specific CPU, once it is released.

EDIT:
If you keep waiting for the most up-to-date tech which is just around the corner, you are never going to get...
What resolution are you planning to play games at?

I don'really see any point in buying a 2080 TI for 1080p gaming, while keeping the 4790K for example. At 1080p the CPU still plays a big part in amount of FPS. At higher resolution, the performance requirements would shift more towards the GPU

I had a 4790K prior to my current CPU, it was still great for some games (I play at 1440p @ 144Hz), but in other games it really began showing its age - for me specifically, Battlefield V was tha game that finally made me decide on a new CPU.
Interestingly not purely because of FPS issues, it also resulted in some annoying draw distance limitations in a few games which couldn't be removed by graphics settingsin-game. Battlefield V being one of them. Those issues went away with the CPU upgrade

I also had a 2070 Super, although only with my current CPU, and it performed really great in games, and seemed to be a perfect match for high refresh rate gaming at 1440p.

I've since then replaced it with a 2080 Super, but certainly not because I felt like the performance was holding me back, but by pure coincidence, I was able to upgrade to the 2080 Super at no real cost to me.

If you are planning on 1080p or 1440p high refreshrate gaming, I'd personally go for a 2070 Super and a CPU+MB and RAM upgrade, instead of pairing a 4790K with a 2080 TI

For 4K gaming, I'd go for a 2080 Super or a 2080 TI.

But without knowing what resolution you are playing at, I'd personally reccomend 2070 Super + CPU

Chimi02

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2015
What resolution are you planning to play games at?

I don'really see any point in buying a 2080 TI for 1080p gaming, while keeping the 4790K for example.

I had a 4790K prior to my current CPU, it was still great for some games (I play at 1440p @ 144Hz), but in other games it really began showing its age - for me specifically, Battlefield V was tha game that finally made me decide on a new CPU.
Interestingly not purely because of FPS issues, it also resulted in some annoying draw distance limitations in a few games which couldn't be removed by graphics settingsin-game. Battlefield V being one of them. Those issues went away with the CPU upgrade

I also had a 2070 Super, although only with my current CPU, and it performed really great in games, and seemed to be a perfect match for high refresh rate gaming at 1440p.

I've since then replaced it with a 2080 Super, but certainly not because I felt like the performance was holding me back, but by pure coincidence, I was able to upgrade to the 2080 Super at no real cost to me.

If you are planning on 1080p or 1440p high refreshrate gaming, I'd personally go for a 2070 Super and a CPU+MB and RAM upgrade, instead of pairing a 4790K with a 2080 TI

For 4K gaming, I'd go for a 2080 Super or a 2080 TI.

But without knowing what resolution you are playing at, I'd personally reccomend 2070 Super + CPU

I'm playing at 1080p high refresh rate.

Which cpu would you pair the 2070 super with?

I don't have any personal experience with a Ryzen CPU, I got a i9 9900K after the 4790K, but the 3700x you are already considering, sounds like a very good choice to me. Price vs performance should be well worth it, as far as I know.

But someone with more knowledge on Ryzen CPUs might be able to provide better advice regarding the best current choice of Ryzen CPUs. I'm sure someone will comment on that shortly

Chimi02

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2015
I don't have any personal experience with a Ryzen CPU, I got a i9 9900K after the 4790K, but the 3700x you are already considering, sounds like a very good choice to me. Price vs performance should be well worth it, as far as I know.

But someone with more knowledge on Ryzen CPUs might be able to provide better advice regarding the best current choice of Ryzen CPUs. I'm sure someone will comment on that shortly

Alright, thanks for the reply :)

Alright, thanks for the reply :)

I just re-read your original post, and I missed the 2080 Super option.

A 2080 Super and a CPU lator on, could also be an idea - however, if price / performance is important, the 2080 Super is not a good choice compared to a 2070 Super.
It is roughly 10-12 % faster in some titles, and even less in a lot of other titles, but the price difference between a 2070 Super and a 2080 Super is quite big, considering the relatively minor actual performance increase.

At 1440p, 144Hz I couldn't really tell the difference between the 2070 Super performance and the 2080 Super performance in-game, unless I had a visible FPS counter displaying actual FPS while gaming.
With the 2070 Super I had ~110 FPS consistantly in Battlefield V at primarely highest settings, apart from no AA (forced disabled in Nvidia driver, since you can't disable it in-game), and I never really use more than medium shadows. No motion blur.

With the 2080 Super, same settings, I see no more than max 5 - 10 FPS increase on average.

BF V does run quite poorly though, but the general FPS difference seems similar across all my games.

But the additional cores etc if you buy a new CPU, would give you a bigger advantage than the 10% increase of a 2080 Super over a 2070 Super, in my opinion.

Ryzen does benefit a lot from fast RAM with tight timings, saving a bit on a 2080 Super and spending the difference on good RAM, could be something to consider to maximize CPU performance, if you decide on a 2070 Super and a Ryzen CPU

Last edited:

Chimi02

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2015
I just re-read your original post, and I missed the 2080 Super option.

A 2080 Super and a CPU lator on, could also be an idea - however, if price / performance is important, the 2080 Super is not a good choice compared to a 2070 Super.
It is roughly 10-12 % faster in some titles, and even less in a lot of other titles, but the price difference between a 2070 Super and a 2080 Super is quite big, considering the relatively minor actual performance increase.

At 1440p, 144Hz I couldn't really tell the difference between the 2070 Super performance and the 2080 Super performance in-game, unless I had a visible FPS counter displaying actual FPS while gaming.
With the 2070 Super I had ~110 FPS consistantly in Battlefield V at primarely highest settings, apart from no AA (forced disabled in Nvidia driver, since you can't disable it in-game), and I never really use more than medium shadows. No motion blur.

With the 2080 Super, same settings, I see no more than max 5 - 10 FPS increase on average.

BF V does run quite poorly though, but the general FPS difference seems similar across all my games.

But the additional cores etc if you buy a new CPU, would give you a bigger advantage than the 10% increase of a 2080 Super over a 2070 Super, in my opinion.

Ryzen does benefit a lot from fast RAM with tight timings, saving a bit on a 2080 Super and spending the difference on good RAM, could be something to consider to maximize CPU performance, if you decide on a 2070 Super and a Ryzen CPU
I suppose the 2070 super would be good enough and then I don't have to worry whenever I play a heavy cpu title. And I still do play at 1080p

I thought the amd 3000 series didn't benefit as much as the 2000 series did on better ram. I'll look more in to that. Thanks for the reply :)

Ryzen 4000 is on the horizon, which could be something to keep in mind, in case you prefer the option of a GPU now and a CPU later.

I know Ryzen 3000 is less picky with regards to RAM compatibility, but I was under the impression that they still benefit from fast RAM. But I might very well be wrong, like I said, I don’t have personal hands-on experience with Ryzen CPUs.

But I still believe a CPU+GPU upgrade would be a better choice than pairing your current 4790K with a 2080 TI for 1080p gaming specifically.
Additionally, more and more game titles / upcoming games sees an increase in the number of CPU cores they can utilize - it could be worth keeping in mind

Last edited:

Chimi02

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2015
Ryzen 4000 is on the horizon, which could be something to keep in mind, in case you prefer the option of a GPU now and a CPU later.

I know Ryzen 3000 is less picky with regards to RAM compatibility, but I was under the impression that they still benefit from fast RAM. But I might very well be wrong, like I said, I don’t have personal hands-on experience with Ryzen CPUs.

But I still believe a CPU+GPU upgrade would be a better choice than pairing your current 4790K with a 2080 TI for 1080p gaming specifically.
Additionally, more and more game titles / upcoming games sees an increase in the number of CPU cores they can utilize - it could be worth keeping in mind
I'm not sure if you read the part that I'm waiting until black friday, so if they have announced the ryzen 4000 series I might wait, same goes for rtx 3000 series. I'm hoping to get a good deal, since I don't have enought money to spend now anyways.

I'm not sure if you read the part that I'm waiting until black friday, so if they have announced the ryzen 4000 series I might wait, same goes for rtx 3000 series. I'm hoping to get a good deal, since I don't have enought money to spend now anyways.

sorry, i forgot a part of my post. I did see the Black friday-part.
What i wanted to add, was that a lot of current amd chipsets has been confirmed compatible with the upcoming 4000 Series, B450 and x570 boards, if I remember correctly. So a Ryzen CPU upgrade now, would support the 4000 Series as well - I meant to point out the additional future options for a Ryzen CPU upgrade now.
I explained myself the wrong way round, sorry for the confusion. It is midnight here, I guess it is time to catch some sleep.

Chimi02

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2015
sorry, i forgot a part of my post. I did see the Black friday-part.
What i wanted to add, was that a lot of current amd chipsets has been confirmed compatible with the upcoming 4000 Series, B450 and x570 boards, if I remember correctly. So a Ryzen CPU upgrade now, would support the 4000 Series as well - I meant to point out the additional future options for a Ryzen CPU upgrade now.
I explained myself the wrong way round, sorry for the confusion. It is midnight here, I guess it is time to catch some sleep.

And what about DDR5? DDR4 has about 6 years on it's back... If I would get a new cpu, motherboard and ram, I'd have to get a new motherboard if I'd like to buy DDR5.

(rumored specs)

Last edited:

(rumored specs)

DDR5 RAM support is tied to the CPU, because the memory controller is integrated in the CPU, and not the motherboard, like they once were.
So if you want to buy DDR5 RAM, you'll have to buy both a CPU with native DDR5 support and a motherboard with support for that specific CPU, once it is released.

EDIT:
If you keep waiting for the most up-to-date tech which is just around the corner, you are never going to get new hardware. Something new and better is always just around the corner. If it isn't a new CPU, it could be a new GPU instead.

Sooner or later, you'll have to settle for something, and buy what is best at the time.

At least AMD has promised Ryzen 4000 support for some current motherboards, so for future upgradeability, AMD is a better choice if you want to buy a CPU and motherboard which is currently available, and still be able to upgrade the CPU in the future.

My current setup is just under one year old, and it is already outdated. There will be no future CPUs for this chipset.
But I'll have sufficient performance for a while still, even if better hardware has just been released, such as Intel 10th Gen and the upcomming Nvidia RTX 30** GPUs.
And my CPU is fine for a GPU upgrade in the near future.

So at some point, you will have to be satisfied with what is available, instead of keep waiting

Last edited:
Solution

Chimi02

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2015

EDIT:
If you keep waiting for the most up-to-date tech which is just around the corner, you are never going to get new hardware. Something new and better is always just around the corner. If it isn't a new CPU, it could be a new GPU instead.

Sooner or later, you'll have to settle for something, and buy what is best at the time.

At least AMD has promised Ryzen 4000 support for some current motherboards, so for future upgradeability, AMD is a better choice if you want to buy a CPU and motherboard which is currently available, and still be able to upgrade the CPU in the future.

My current setup is just under one year old, and it is already outdated. There will be no future CPUs for this chipset.
But I'll have sufficient performance for a while still, even if better hardware has just been released, such as Intel 10th Gen and the upcomming Nvidia RTX 30** GPUs.
And my CPU is fine for a GPU upgrade in the near future.

So at some point, you will have to be satisfied with what is available, instead of keep waiting
You're right. I'll just wait for the 3000 series cards and 4000 series and if ddr5 is availible then, well great, otherwise too bad. I'll just have to deal with a small bottleneck in the meanwhile.

Thanks again for the replies :)