[SOLVED] 2070 super: Help me choose between EVGA Super XC Ultra or Gigabyte gaming OC

Nov 20, 2019
So I've got all of my PC components in hand, but I can't decide between the EVGA 2070 Super XC Ultra or the Gigabyte 2070 Super OC Gaming cards.

The past few EVGA cards I've had exhibited some coil whine or buzz under load. It wasn't TOO distracting, but it was there. I've seen a ton of threads and posts on evga's site about coil whine being pretty common on the 20 series cards, while I haven't seen nearly as many gripes on the Gigabyte cards.

Also, I can't find any info on power phases for each card, and I'd really like to get a good over clocking card so getting this info would help me choose as well. My specs are a Intel 9700k, 16gb ddr4@3200 on an Aorus 390 Pro Wifi board. Any help on which to get is appreciated.

Solution
If I went with a 2080 it would have to be a refurb. I've already spent too much on this build. The reason why I was looking for a good 2070 super was to get the best performance I can without spending 700 plus on a GPU. Originally I had planned on getting a cheaper 2060 super but I decided to up that to a 2070 super and now I've come here looking for opinions on the 2 cards I listed, not opinions on 2080 cards.
i gave the choice i would made if i was you and pointed to the fact that if you want to overclock, you are likely to feel disapointed with results, overclocking a gpu at best will give you 7% extra performace, in the case of the 2070, overclock it is try to make it work like a 2080, tht is arouns 10% faster than the 2070...

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
Or for $70 more you could just get a 2080 super and not worry about overclocking.
if you cant do that, buy the evga, is the better of the two, all my nvidias are evga and i have nothing to regret about them

if your only concern is about overclocking capabilities it means you are pointing at the wrong product expecting it to be a different product with better performance

one should buy a product thinking on their out of the box capabilities, if you are worried about overclocking ,it is not the product for you and you are wasting time and money

the overclocking capabilities of a gpu should be a extra, not the determining factor on a purchase, yes, the 1080 should be your target

Nov 20, 2019
if you cant do that, buy the evga, is the better of the two, all my nvidias are evga and i have nothing to regret about them

if your only concern is about overclocking capabilities it means you are pointing at the wrong product expecting it to be a different product with better performance

one should buy a product thinking on their out of the box capabilities, if you are worried about overclocking ,it is not the product for you and you are wasting time and money

the overclocking capabilities of a gpu should be a extra, not the determining factor on a purchase, yes, the 1080 should be your target

If I went with a 2080 it would have to be a refurb. I've already spent too much on this build. The reason why I was looking for a good 2070 super was to get the best performance I can without spending 700 plus on a GPU. Originally I had planned on getting a cheaper 2060 super but I decided to up that to a 2070 super and now I've come here looking for opinions on the 2 cards I listed, not opinions on 2080 cards.

Last edited:

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
i gave the choice i would made if i was you and pointed to the fact that if you want to overclock, you are likely to feel disapointed with results, overclocking a gpu at best will give you 7% extra performace, in the case of the 2070, overclock it is try to make it work like a 2080, tht is arouns 10% faster than the 2070

since no one can guarantee yu perfect overclocking results, you should not buy a gpu thinking only on the overclocking capabilities

again, go for the evga one, you got your answer and the general point of view, do with it what you feel is best

Reactions: JAK77
Solution

Dragon155

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2016
I currently have a EVGA RTX 2070 (non super) XC ultra, under load, the card is quite loud, but I do run my fans near 80% while gaming. My brother just got a MSI RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming X, and it has gotten decent overclock performance, +80 core, haven't tested memory. I've run that card at fans 100% and I can't even hear them. During port royale it didn't exceed 58C, so if you are still looking for cards I would recommend that one. But beware, it is a MASSIVE card, barely fits in my mid tower with hard drive bays.

Dragon155