Question 2070 Super not getting the performance expected.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 15, 2022
Hello,

I've had this PC build for over 3 years and I've never really gotten the performance I was expecting with the build. I've seen others with a similar setup get much better results. I'm not really PC savvy, so I haven't really been able to figure out how to fix it or what exactly the issue is.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: MSI 2070 Super
RAM: 32GB

In Warzone for example the old one and the new one I can't even get above 100FPS in 1920x1080p and sometimes the performance dips all the way down into the 50-60s(I could go back to console if I wanted that). It's really this way across other games. I have a friend who has a similar setup and gets 120-130FPS in warzone.

How can I solve what's causing this subpar performance?

Dec 15, 2022
It was never going to fix your problem because you can run them either way round and you were already running in dual channel. It's just recommended you populate A2 (2nd slot) and B2 (4th slot) first:
"For optimum performance, when enabling
Dual Channel mode with two memory modules, we recommend that you install them in the DDR4_A2
and DDR4_B2 sockets."
The above is from the motherboard manual, this is the norm with other motherboards as well. Why your scores are slightly lower I don't know, it could be just coincidence as there will always be slight variation between benchmark runs.

I would check GPU-Z next as that's just a quick one to rule out.

Any idea why when I enable the xmp profile it still only giving me 2133mhz instead of the 3200?
View: https://imgur.com/a/QmCA7F1

Here is the GPU-Z
View: https://imgur.com/a/zJ2z1qi

Dec 15, 2022
XMP isn't enabled if that's the case. Dumb question, was it showing as 3200Mhz in the bios and did you remember to save the changes when you exited the bios?

GPU-Z looks fine so it's not that.

BIOS is showing 3200 and I hit save and exit. I've checked it several times now and it shows 3200 in the BIOS.

Dec 15, 2022
It's a tricky one, it could just be a problem with that memory on that board. Or it could be the bios is messed up, I have had some odd behaviour on my board before which was resolved by resetting the CMOS.

Before I do that, I'd like to add that when I do enable the XMP profile and save and exit, it takes like 20-30 seconds for the PC to boot. It shuts off then reboots and the fans rev up like 2 or 3 times before it settles then it finally boots. After that Its fine everytime I restart its only after I flip the XMP profile off and on that it does it but it never registers the XMP profile as actually being enabled once its booted but it will show it is in BIOS.

Also the memory matches the board on the Corsair Memory finder, they're supposed to be compatible per Corsairs website.

Dec 15, 2022
It's a tricky one, it could just be a problem with that memory on that board. Or it could be the bios is messed up, I have had some odd behaviour on my board before which was resolved by resetting the CMOS.

I'm going to update the BIOS, going over the notes on their site they had a BIOS update on this MOBO for memory compatibility back in 2020. If this doesn't work, do you think getting new RAM will solve the issue? Or replace the MOBO?

TRENDING THREADS