Question 2070 Super NVLINK

ericstar945

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2013
Okay guys.... I know this build will make some people's blood boil...But is it weird that's kind of why I want to do it? I've been reading a TON on Nvidia Inspector and I want to give this a shot.

I want to do a 2070 Super SLI/NV Link setup. The only thing I am struggling with is what processor to go with. I initially was thinking the older threadrippers, like 1950x would do okay and they are pretty cheap used. After looking I might need some more juice. If anyone is as crazy as me and running this rig, what have you been using. Also, is the 2070 NVLINK bridge worth it? Seems 1080ti's are cheaper now too so could go that route with 2 of those. On either I will be trading the stock fans out for NZXT G12 shroud hookups.
Let me know!

ericstar945

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2013
But why? Is it worth spending hundreds of extra dollars to get no actual benefit? Is making a bizarre build for strangers worth that amount of money to you?
I know it’s a little crazy. I just like doing stuff that’s different and funky. Sourcing all used parts in no rush to build. Just thought it would be fun. So if you were doing it, what would you use? Something that can be found used?

Well, For older games, I'd say go for it, Good chance you can get SLI working on unsupported games with Profile inspector, I've done it for years on my 1070s on a Threadripper 1950x machine actually, But that was 2017 when SLI was a hit and mostly a miss on DX11 even with playing with the profiles.

Now the most games are DX12, SLI is vary unlikely to even work even forcing it as DX12 most games directly access the GPU rather than the driver telling it what profiles to use for optimal performance, Its not a great experience unless you are just going to benchmark runs in 3d mark or plan to play or test older games.

DX12 kinda ruined the multi GPU experience as the Dev's now have to code the game to be able to use it now and we all know how lazy Dev's are these days, profits, and cut corner where possible, welcome to the future of gaming.

So if you really want to build an SLI setup, im not going to tell you that your are stupid for doing it, just letting you know its a pointless battle that you are vary unlikley going to win these days, I loved SLI/Crossfire, yeah they were problematic, but it was rewarding if you can get it to work right and the performance gains were pretty good, I still have my 6990, and 7990 and 780ti's, sad its dead tech now.

Be cool to see 1 GPU render textures and everything, and another render Raytracing, sorta like the Physx days, but why would Nvidia ever do that, oh thats right, make everyone buy their over priced 4000 cards!

Lol anyway.

Good Luck man!

ericstar945

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2013
Well, For older games, I'd say go for it, Good chance you can get SLI working on unsupported games with Profile inspector, I've done it for years on my 1070s on a Threadripper 1950x machine actually, But that was 2017 when SLI was a hit and mostly a miss on DX11 even with playing with the profiles.

Now the most games are DX12, SLI is vary unlikely to even work even forcing it as DX12 most games directly access the GPU rather than the driver telling it what profiles to use for optimal performance, Its not a great experience unless you are just going to benchmark runs in 3d mark or plan to play or test older games.

DX12 kinda ruined the multi GPU experience as the Dev's now have to code the game to be able to use it now and we all know how lazy Dev's are these days, profits, and cut corner where possible, welcome to the future of gaming.

So if you really want to build an SLI setup, im not going to tell you that your are stupid for doing it, just letting you know its a pointless battle that you are vary unlikley going to win these days, I loved SLI/Crossfire, yeah they were problematic, but it was rewarding if you can get it to work right and the performance gains were pretty good, I still have my 6990, and 7990 and 780ti's, sad its dead tech now.

Be cool to see 1 GPU render textures and everything, and another render Raytracing, sorta like the Physx days, but why would Nvidia ever do that, oh thats right, make everyone buy their over priced 4000 cards!

Lol anyway.

Good Luck man!
Appreciate it man! Yeah I know DX12 kinda ended it. 1950x for your too 1070s huh? How much more juice do you think for 2070s? 10-13 gen intel?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I know it’s a little crazy. I just like doing stuff that’s different and funky. Sourcing all used parts in no rush to build. Just thought it would be fun. So if you were doing it, what would you use? Something that can be found used?

I can understand doing something different or funky, but this isn't really funky, it's just bad. It's not as if there's any aesthetic value to doing this. You're basically just trying to build a significantly worse PC than you could for the same money. I was hoping if I inquired further, there would be some underlying reason that I could grasp. But if I don't understand a build, I can't participate in one.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Basically decided to ditch my GTX980 SLI in favor of a single GTX1080 when DX12 was announced.

RTX2070 Super SLI will basically be like a single 3070, so nothing too exotic I would think. Just have to makes sure you get an SLI compatible board, which may be quite expensive with more recent hardware.

Cheapest SLI boards at the moment are an LGA1200, so that will work for an 11700K.

And an X570, so you could get a 5800X3D

ericstar945

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2013
I can understand doing something different or funky, but this isn't really funky, it's just bad. It's not as if there's any aesthetic value to doing this. You're basically just trying to build a significantly worse PC than you could for the same money. I was hoping if I inquired further, there would be some underlying reason that I could grasp. But if I don't understand a build, I can't participate in one.
Totally understand, my heavy gaming days are over now that I’m engaged! Just want to do something different just for my own fun, so why not.

ericstar945

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2013
Basically decided to ditch my GTX980 SLI in favor of a single GTX1080 when DX12 was announced.

RTX2070 Super SLI will basically be like a single 3070, so nothing too exotic I would think. Just have to makes sure you get an SLI compatible board, which may be quite expensive with more recent hardware.

Cheapest SLI boards at the moment are an LGA1200, so that will work for an 11700K.

And an X570, so you could get a 5800X3D

Awesome will definitely take a look, as for processor you think that’s the juice it will need? 11 gen intel or 5800? Found some used 2070 supers on eBay for 200 each

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Buying into an older platform, might as well get the best processor you can.

Cheapest LGA1700 board is $360 that still offers SLI, you could then go for a mid-range processor, but I don't see much point to that.

Cheapest AM5 board is over $1200.

All MSI boards, so clearly they are trying to keep the overclocking record crowd happy. Two-way 3090Ti is still possible and just can barely outdo an RTX4090 if I recall.

Appreciate it man! Yeah I know DX12 kinda ended it. 1950x for your too 1070s huh? How much more juice do you think for 2070s? 10-13 gen intel?

Not really sure, I had a EVGA 1300 watt Super nova I had for a vary long time, Bought it when I was playing with my 6990 and a bios modded HD6950, trying 3 way crossfire and I wanted a PSU with enough 8pins and be able to comfortably power it lol.

I would say with 850 watt of a good reliable brand should be fine, I would thing anything below that would be pushing it if you are going with HEDT or a power hungry CPU.