Question 2070 to 2080ti PSU and mobo upgrade suggestions

formulaic

Prominent
Jul 26, 2019
Hi,

I'm planning on upgrading my prebuilt gaming system that I bought with little knowledge of what I needed or what it contained, to what I now know I want.

I have an RTX2070 with a B450M-ds3h mobo, Ryzen 7 2700 and a 500W PSU. This has worked very well for 1440p gaming, although I've noticed stutter recently on a few games, like Rise of Tomb Raider especially in the Geothermal Valley, which I'm thinking is due to the poor VRM cooling on the mobo (I've OCd both the CPU and GPU, the former I now suspect being a bad idea on this mobo).

I'm planning to buy a 2080ti to play games at 4K 60. I know the PSU has to be upgraded and I'm presuming the mobo needs to be too. So would anyone mind suggesting suitable 650-750W PSUs and especially mobos for that card with a Ryzen 7 2700 please? Budget is mostly blown on the GPU (and the original impulse purchase of 2070 and underspecced mobo) so economy is desirable.

From my own guesswork i thought an MSI X470 Gaming Plus board (which would allow to upgrade the CPU in the future to a Ryzen 3000 series) and a Corsair RM650/750x PSU might be good.

Cheers

formulaic

Prominent
Jul 26, 2019
Good psu for a decent price. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qn...ified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-650fm

It could be a VRM issue. I would suggest an upgrade to this motherboard for a superior VRM and heatsync.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9C...s-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-gaming-plus

The RM650 and x470 gaming plus are pretty good aswell, but may be a little expensive for what you need.
Thanks. If I were to upgrade the CPU to 3000 series at a later date do you think the MSI B450M you suggest would still be a good choice? (On my local site in China it doesn't have that one but does have Tomahawk and Mortar.)

The PSU looks like a great recommendation. Do you think 650W is enough? There is a 750W for an extra 12% of price. I will overclock the R7 and 2080ti and will have an Oculus plugged in too.

Cheers.

Regarding the 2080 Super over a Ti...

As long as the Super can meet your 4K@ 60 fps goal, you could probably get it replaced in 18-20 months with whatever releases then in the $600-$700 range, likely faster than the current Ti, and, perhaps even be ahead for the same total amount of money spent... (If you were planning on 100 Hz refresh monitor, get the Ti now....!)

formulaic

Prominent
Jul 26, 2019
As long as the Super can meet your 4K@ 60 fps goal, you could probably get it replaced in 18-20 months with whatever releases then in the $600-$700 range, likely faster than the current Ti, and, perhaps even be ahead for the same total amount of money spent... (If you were planning on 100 Hz refresh monitor, get the Ti now....!)
[/QUOTE]

I was hoping the Super would be close enough to the Ti so I could get that, but it's still a ways off, and only the Ti can provide the 4K60 Ultra on a 4KTV that I'm looking for. Thanks for advise though.