[SOLVED] 2070 used as a stand in card?

LepreSean97

Honorable
Apr 8, 2017
Probably just overthinking (I unfortunately have a bad habit of that), but I found an ebay listing for a used 2070 for £400. Said it was used for a couple of months as a "stand in card". This normal? Cause it seems quite high end to use as a stand in. (also if it's not obvious I'm very unfamiliar with selling PC hardware since I've never sold any yet and always bought new. Just desperate to replace my 960 and decided to settle for older cards)

Solution
The person probably built a new computer when the RTX 3000 series came out. Probably bought that card so they'd have something for their new computer. Until they were able to get their hands on something like an RTX 3080, 3090, &c.

People do it. Given the GPU market. I think more people are doing it than usual. Getting whatever they can until they can find the card they want. At none scalper prices.

Edit: As @USAFRet says. It sounds a bit low for the current market.

USAFRet

Titan
Probably just overthinking (I unfortunately have a bad habit of that), but I found an ebay listing for a used 2070 for £400. Said it was used for a couple of months as a "stand in card". This normal? Cause it seems quite high end to use as a stand in. (also if it's not obvious I'm very unfamiliar with selling PC hardware since I've never sold any yet and always bought new. Just desperate to replace my 960 and decided to settle for older cards)
Used on ebay is always a crapshoot.
Yes, their policies mostly side with the buyer. But still a PITA if things don't work right.

$400 in the current market sounds suspiciously low.

The person probably built a new computer when the RTX 3000 series came out. Probably bought that card so they'd have something for their new computer. Until they were able to get their hands on something like an RTX 3080, 3090, &c.

People do it. Given the GPU market. I think more people are doing it than usual. Getting whatever they can until they can find the card they want. At none scalper prices.

Edit: As @USAFRet says. It sounds a bit low for the current market.

Solution
if you can find nothing any more powerful at a decent price, the seller has any good reviews, and\or ebay has a good return & refund policy than go for it.

i'm currently using a RX 6700 XT as a "stand in" card until something better is available.
which will be sold or configured into a separate system later.

i would really be surprised if the 2070 was even available for more than a few minutes at that price given the current market.

I can see someone using a 2070 as a stand in card until they could upgrade if they were gaming at 1440p or 4K and that is all they could find. I upgraded from a 2080S to 3080 as I found the 2080S underwhelming for 1440p 144Hz in the latest AAA games and trying to achieve >120 FPS. Turn the settings right down and Id expect a 2070 can handle 1440p 144Hz or 4K 60Hz.

LepreSean97

Honorable
Apr 8, 2017
I can see someone using a 2070 as a stand in card until they could upgrade if they were gaming at 1440p or 4K and that is all they could find. I upgraded from a 2080S to 3080 as I found the 2080S underwhelming for 1440p 144Hz in the latest AAA games and trying to achieve >120 FPS. Turn the settings right down and Id expect a 2070 can handle 1440p 144Hz or 4K 60Hz.
Yeah been trying to find a 3060TI but given up and started going for lower, since my 960 is starting to struggle I'm just happy to have an upgrade. Might even look into a 1070 or something.