Question 2070 vs 2080

Feb 12, 2019
So Im trying to decide whether to buy a 2070 or a 2080. Im looking to play on 1440p at 144hz on games such as BF5, Metro Exodus, Resident Evil 2 RE, Doom Eternal and maybe Anthem. At the moment I have enough saved up for an 2080 but if I purchased a 2070 then the money left over could help with getting a 1440p monitor aince I only have a 4k tv atm.

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
A 2070 is a solid 1440p card. Provided your expectations are reasonable (ie not going to be maxing out every single title with >100FPS) and you're prepared to play around with settings some, a 2070 would be more than capable for the task.

Of course, a 2080 would be preferred from a raw horsepower standpoint but, if the option is 2070 + decent monitor or 2080 + 4K TV, I'd opt for the 2070*, personally.

*Or, potentially look to the used market for a 1080/1080TI if you're comfortable going that route. A 2070 is a ~$500 card and it would appear 1080TI's are selling fairly regularly in the $475-$550 range.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=gtx+1080+TI&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I have a 2080 and I play in 1440p WQHD. I play all current games in Ultra Settings. My goal is to be over 60fps what I reach with all current games I play.

BF5 with Raytracing is between 60 and 75 fps
Shadow of the Tomb Raider is between 90 and 100 fps
Assassins Creed Odyssey is between 60 and 75fps
Kingdom Come Deliverance is between 60 and 80 (with some few drops under 60)
Far Cry 5 is between 95 and 110fps
Wolfenstein 2 The new Colossus is around 140fps

That is what you will get with the 2080. If you go with a 2070 reduce hose number by about 15 to 20%. That means you will not be able to get over 60fps in Ultra Settings in 1440p in Assassins Creed Odyssey and Kingdom Come Deliverance.

If everything needs to be in Ultra and over 60fps is up to you. The 2070 is still a very good card and you can get it under $500 (I believe Newegg had a $90 off sale for the MSI RTX 2070 Armor today).

Feb 12, 2019
A 2070 is a solid 1440p card. Provided your expectations are reasonable (ie not going to be maxing out every single title with >100FPS) and you're prepared to play around with settings some, a 2070 would be more than capable for the task.

Of course, a 2080 would be preferred from a raw horsepower standpoint but, if the option is 2070 + decent monitor or 2080 + 4K TV, I'd opt for the 2070*, personally.

*Or, potentially look to the used market for a 1080/1080TI if you're comfortable going that route. A 2070 is a ~$500 card and it would appear 1080TI's are selling fairly regularly in the $475-$550 range.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=gtx+1080+TI&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1
At first I thought about getting a 1080ti but idk because Im worried about warranty and what if the cards "lifespan" is close to ending. Not to mention a couple months ago 1080tis were more expensive than 2080s.

Feb 12, 2019
I have a 2080 and I play in 1440p WQHD. I play all current games in Ultra Settings. My goal is to be over 60fps what I reach with all current games I play.

BF5 with Raytracing is between 60 and 75 fps
Shadow of the Tomb Raider is between 90 and 100 fps
Assassins Creed Odyssey is between 60 and 75fps
Kingdom Come Deliverance is between 60 and 80 (with some few drops under 60)
Far Cry 5 is between 95 and 110fps
Wolfenstein 2 The new Colossus is around 140fps

That is what you will get with the 2080. If you go with a 2070 reduce hose number by about 15 to 20%. That means you will not be able to get over 60fps in Ultra Settings in 1440p in Assassins Creed Odyssey and Kingdom Come Deliverance.

If everything needs to be in Ultra and over 60fps is up to you. The 2070 is still a very good card and you can get it under $500 (I believe Newegg had a $90 off sale for the MSI RTX 2070 Armor today).
I would like the eye candy of 60fps+ on ultra. The games I talked about earlier were the main titles Im planning on playing. Aside from those I'll play indie games and World of Warcraft

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I can see that @AstroKnight , and I'm not saying a 2080 is a bad idea. I typically recommend a better/more economical route to be buying a GPU that's fit for purpose now, and upgrade in time.

Depends on your viewpoint though.

As a rough example, a 2070 @ $500ish now, saves ~$200 over a 2080. Pocket that $200 for a later date.
Even assuming you upgrade in the release after next, for arguments sake lets say you skip the 21xx and are buying in the 22xx round.
Typically the xx70 card offers ~xx80 performance from the prior generation.
So, you sell the 2070 for ~$250 at that point, buy the $500 offering in the 22xx generation. All in all, you'd be "out" the $700-$750 you would be buying the 2080 now, but you'd be gaming on High/Ultra for a few years comfortably.

I would say it's especially true this round, with RTX cards. Let the tech mature. I fully expect the second/third rounds of RTX cards will see substantial improvements and game support should follow.

Of course, it's not that black and white 100% of the time, but gives you an idea.

Opting for a $700ish 2080 now might mean you're gaming at Ultra now, and medium in a couple of years. Hardly a bad thing at all, just different ways to look at it.

At first I thought about getting a 1080ti but idk because Im worried about warranty and what if the cards "lifespan" is close to ending. Not to mention a couple months ago 1080tis were more expensive than 2080s.

if you buy the card new then you wouldn't have any problems with warranty. if you ever had any warrenty issues anyway they would probably be forced to issue you a 2080 or 2080Ti for a replacement

mjbn1977

Distinguished
It really depends on how liquid your wallet is and how much it bothers you when you have to move some graphic quality sliders to the left. The 2080 will give you the 60+fps in 1440p with Ultra Settings. The 2070 will give you 60+ in 1440p in many current games in 1440p with Ultra Settings, but in some you have to make some adjustments to the graphics quality settings. But it is hard to recommend which one to go with, because we don't know your money situation and how picky you are in regards to video settings.

You know have the information, but you have to figure out by yourself if $200 to $300 is justifying 15 to 20% more fps.

Also, don't consider a 1080ti. Even so it delivers similar DX11 performance, it lacks behind in DX12. Also, more and more games will offer Ray Tracing and DLSS (Metro Exodus will use Ray Tracing). Even so in my opinion those features shouldn't be the deciding factor, they are definitely a nice to have. And as more games down the road going to use DLSS and ray tracing you might be upset that you settled for an older card.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
They can't replace what they don't have, so they'll send you as close to a comparable card as possible, but never a worse card. So in the event they have no 1080TIs left, you'll likely see a 2080 or 2080TI.

Some used warranty is transferrable - EVGA's is for sure. But I think the period of transferrable warranty is less than the full X years.

Feb 12, 2019
I can see that @AstroKnight , and I'm not saying a 2080 is a bad idea. I typically recommend a better/more economical route to be buying a GPU that's fit for purpose now, and upgrade in time.

Depends on your viewpoint though.

As a rough example, a 2070 @ $500ish now, saves ~$200 over a 2080. Pocket that $200 for a later date.
Even assuming you upgrade in the release after next, for arguments sake lets say you skip the 21xx and are buying in the 22xx round.
Typically the xx70 card offers ~xx80 performance from the prior generation.
So, you sell the 2070 for ~$250 at that point, buy the $500 offering in the 22xx generation. All in all, you'd be "out" the $700-$750 you would be buying the 2080 now, but you'd be gaming on High/Ultra for a few years comfortably.

I would say it's especially true this round, with RTX cards. Let the tech mature. I fully expect the second/third rounds of RTX cards will see substantial improvements and game support should follow.

Of course, it's not that black and white 100% of the time, but gives you an idea.

Opting for a $700ish 2080 now might mean you're gaming at Ultra now, and medium in a couple of years. Hardly a bad thing at all, just different ways to look at it.
Id probably upgrade on the next 4 years if I get the 2080. The 2070 maybe 2 or 3.

Feb 12, 2019
It really depends on how liquid your wallet is and how much it bothers you when you have to move some graphic quality sliders to the left. The 2080 will give you the 60+fps in 1440p with Ultra Settings. The 2070 will give you 60+ in 1440p in many current games in 1440p with Ultra Settings, but in some you have to make some adjustments to the graphics quality settings. But it is hard to recommend which one to go with, because we don't know your money situation and how picky you are in regards to video settings.

You know have the information, but you have to figure out by yourself if $200 to $300 is justifying 15 to 20% more fps.

Also, don't consider a 1080ti. Even so it delivers similar DX11 performance, it lacks behind in DX12. Also, more and more games will offer Ray Tracing and DLSS (Metro Exodus will use Ray Tracing). Even so in my opinion those features shouldn't be the deciding factor, they are definitely a nice to have. And as more games down the road going to use DLSS and ray tracing you might be upset that you settled for an older card.
As far as money goes Im finacially stable and have a decent income. As far as graphics go Im coming from a xbox one s and a 1080p pc that had a r9 270x or 280x so it was really outdated.

Feb 12, 2019
I meant more like if you somewhat like myself who really is unhappy when he as to touch a graphic setting slider and reduce video settings. It's some weird form of OCD for me....
Oh gotcha, I mean is there really a difference between high and ultra settings? The only reference I had was 1080p high settings. It would be great I guess to not adjust graphic sliders in order to boost fps. One of the reasons I want to get the 2080 is to have the experience of 1440p ultra settings for a few years.

Feb 12, 2019
They can't replace what they don't have, so they'll send you as close to a comparable card as possible, but never a worse card. So in the event they have no 1080TIs left, you'll likely see a 2080 or 2080TI.

Some used warranty is transferrable - EVGA's is for sure. But I think the period of transferrable warranty is less than the full X years.
Im thinking of either gigabyte or asus strix

mjbn1977

Distinguished
What is your budget for the 2080? Don't go with Gigabyte....there fans and coolers are not as good as MSI or ASUS. I was originally going for Strix or MSI Trio, but I decided against both of them because of them being heavy like hell and using 3 slots in the case. I settled for the MSI RTX 2080 Duke after reading several reviews. Its only 2 slots thick and more silent than Trio and has less weight. And it performs pretty much on the same level. I think it has less power supply than the ASUS and MSI top model, but I still get over 2000Mhz GPU clock and 8000Mhz Vram clock out of it. And you don't hear that thing....

I just tested it the other day under full gaming load and it draws 255 Watt, fans at 55% (very silent) at 74 degrees Celsius. that was at core clock of about 1970MHz

Feb 12, 2019
What is your budget for the 2080? Don't go with Gigabyte....there fans and coolers are not as good as MSI or ASUS. I was originally going for Strix or MSI Trio, but I decided against both of them because of them being heavy like hell and using 3 slots in the case. I settled for the MSI RTX 2080 Duke after reading several reviews. Its only 2 slots thick and more silent than Trio and has less weight. And it performs pretty much on the same level. I think it has less power supply than the ASUS and MSI top model, but I still get over 2000Mhz GPU clock and 8000Mhz Vram clock out of it. And you don't hear that thing....

I just tested it the other day under full gaming load and it draws 255 Watt, fans at 55% (very silent) at 74 degrees Celsius. that was at core clock of about 1970MHz

mjbn1977

Distinguished
well. Nvidia bins there Turing chips in two categories:
TU104-400-A1 are Normal Chips (no factory OC permitted).
TU104-400A-A1 are Binned Chips (factory OC permitted).
Both support manual overclocking, but the 400A will be "better quality" chips which will allow higher overclocks. If you buy a factory overclocked model from ASUS or any other board manufacturer you will have for sure a "A" version of the chip, which will allow for higher overclocks than a non-A version. If you buy a reference model from ASUS without factory overclock you will might have a "A" version of the chip, but it is not guaranteed.

But even if you get an "A"-binned chip the silicone lottery is still in play when it comes to the actual overclocking limit. How high you can overclock your chip is a combination out of chip quality (silicone lottery and A or non-A chip), quality of cooling, and power limit. Cards with higher power and better cooling will potentially better overclock.

Just to give you an idea. My card, the MSI 2080 Duke, come with an "A" chip and an factory overclock at 1845Mhz. If I don't overclock the card it runs in games with around 1890Mhz GPU clock. I manually overclocked it without touching the fan curve to 1910Mhz and now it runs in most games with 1965Mhz.

If you don't want to manually overclock, you can go with any factory overclocked model that has a good review in terms of sound and temps. If you always and only play with headphones, this might not be important for you.

By the way, overclocking of video cards is pretty easy and very safe and should be done. But it is not necessary to push it to the extreme. You can run an automatic overclock on RTX cards with the OC scanner (from Nvidia) which is part of the MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precission X1 tool. This takes 20 minutes, requires not skill and is save and will give you a decent overclock that is specific to the quality of your Turing chip.

For me personally I always go with a card that is factory overclocked and has good reviews in regards to temps and noise. Than I usually overclock it manually (or with the OC scanner tool) as high as I can go without increasing the fan curves (and noise).

Last edited: