[SOLVED] 2070s vs 2070 vs RX 5700-XT for 1440p 144 Hz gaming

Nov 1, 2019
I currently have a GTX 1070 paired with a Ryzen 5 3600. I was thinking this combo will last longer for me, but recently I got a 144 Hz 1440p monitor and in the newer singleplayer titles the 1070 is not performing that well. Budget is not really an issue though I obviously don't wanna overspend.

From what I understand, the best option for me would be the RTX 2070s, however:
  • my second monitor is 1080p 144 Hz and it does not have DisplayPort, so for 144 Hz it needs to be connected via DVI-D, which this card does not support
  • my main monitor has a bug where with G-SYNC enabled, it flickers black for a couple seconds from time to time (not faulty monitor, other users have reported this too)
Then there is the RX 5700-XT which would allow me to use Freesync without issues, however it also does not support DVI-D. Also I read that there are a lot of issues with this card - repeated crashing/<Mod Edit> drivers or whatnot.

The RTX 2070 does support DVI-D, but again, I would be missing out on G-SYNC.

Personally I would be leaning towards the 2070s, especially if I could find an active DVI-D->DisplayPort adapter for a reasonable price. I'll be happy for all input, can also provide more details if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I think that DP->DVI-D adapters are readily available. Or HDMI->DVI-D in a pinch (pretty sure all GPUs these days have at least one HDMI port). I don't think there's any need for an active adapter - I'm given to understand (but don't quote me on this) that's only for adapting to VGA, since it's going from digital-to-analog, but HDMI to DVI or DP to DVI is just digital to digital.

Cost-wise the 5700 XT has the best bang for the buck, and my 5700 (non-XT) has given my son ZERO problems in constant gaming, using the 20.2.2 WHQL drivers. If considering 5700 XT vs 2070 (non-Super), then it's a no brainer: about equal performance (slight edge to AMD), but the Nvidia card costs more.

The 2070Super will outperform it, but you're going to pay for that extra performance.

Nov 1, 2019
I actually do own a regular DP->DVI-D adapter, it caps the monitor at 60 Hz unfortunately. The model is ZOWIE by BenQ XL2411, keeping it at 60 Hz is not an option for me since the high refresh rate is the only reason I got it in the first place.